Woody Woodpecker (also known as Pica-Pau in Brazil) is a live-action/CGI animated film produced by Universal Animation Studios which premiered on October 5, 2017 in Brazilian cinemas. The film was directed by Alex Zamm, written by Dave Krinsky and John Altschuler. It was theatrically released in Brazil on October 5, 2017 and was only released on DVD and Blu-Ray from the USA on February 6, 2018, it by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.
The playful and mischievous Woody is caught up in yet another of his amusing fights by territory, and this time the enemies are the con artist Lance Walters (Timothy Omundson) and his girlfriend Brittany (Thaila Ayala). They are determined to build their big dream home but, for that, they need to bring down Woody's house, which promises not to be cheap.
Why It Sucks
- Woody is depicted as a sadistic creature who annoys and tortures the family.
- Horrendous and out-of-place animation that sounds unbelievable for a Universal movie and looks like it came from 2005. To begin with, Woody has speech out-of-sync. When he flies, he seems to stretch strangely like a chewing gum, and feathers often enter inside the character's head. Not to mention the animation that has been reused countless times. In a scene from the movie, when Woody is poking Lance Walters in his bed at night, it looks like a Photoshop clipping too light for the scene, giving a very amateur touch to the animation. And besides, not only does Woody fly, but floats in the air without flapping his wings!
- The actors do not even look at Woody, making ridiculous improvisations, such as looking at the horizon or the mountains on the stage. Are they blind to use their own eyeballs to see Woody or something?
- Wasted the talents of so many actors, whether it would be kids, teens, and adults a like, including Eric Bauza.
- Woody's personality has changed radically. He is completely crazy and cheery as if it were a combination of his first version with SpongeBob SquarePants or something.
- None of the series' jokes appear in the movie. On the contrary, it often relies on toilet humor and other childish comedy.
- Thaila Ayala shrinks in this movie for some reason.
- Woody's awful voice in the second trailer and in the film (even in the Brazilian Portuguese dub).
- An annoying and cliché storyline that has been used better in millions of better movies than this one.
- It is completely forgettable due to its predictable, stupid, cheap and rather cliché story. Even the characters try to be "modernly", using electronic gadgets, outdated slang and bad marks, as well as references to pop culture in ways where it just doesn't work like that in movies like this.
- The movie has a horrible and poorly made lesson about family and the environment. In one scene, Lance is LITERALLY bribing Woody for a plate of peanut butter biscuit, doing the same to let the building finish and knock down the forest, which is revolting and senseless, and automatically cancels the lesson about tree felling. Even Woody says he "left them alone because they paid him," which can be a really bad influence for children.
- Bizarre, nonsensical, frustrating, and disgusting humor.
- Woody farts out his signature laugh, poops on a guy's chocolate ice cream (and the guy eats it), and poops on Lance's girlfriend.
- Woody strips two underage boys to their underwear and threatens to go further. This is supposed to be meant as comedy, but ends up being super pedophilish.
- Horrible grasp of the source material.
- Some pretty good jokes.
- At the end of the credits, we actually get to see the cartoon that inspired this film.
- The ending credits song “Troublemaker” is decent.
- The cover of "Surfin' Bird" is actually enjoyable.
- WOODY WOODPECKER Movie Review (@RebelTaxi) 13th Worst Live Action Cartoon Ever
- Woody Woodpecker (2017) - The Search For The Worst - IHE
- Woody Woodpecker - Nostalgia Critic