Wheely: Fast & Hilarious (or simply Wheely, otherwise known as Willie and the Cool Cars in Russia as Вилли и крутые тачки) is a 2018 Malaysian computer animated adventure comedy film directed by Yusry Abdul Halim and Carl Mendez.
Wheely, a cabbie from the lower ranks of society, faces an uphill battle to save his dream girl from a monstrous 18-wheeler truck who is the mastermind of a luxury car-napping syndicate. After a really bad crash, Wheely was demoted from a rookie racer to a downtown cabbie with a mountain of debt and a bruised ego.
Why It's Not Fast or Hilarious
- The film's title and titular character were stolen from the flash game Wheely of the same name, which is also about a car.
- The soundtrack is not only repetitive, but the film stole the soundtracks from many Pixar films such as A Bug's Life, and Monsters, Inc. without their permission!
- Wheely's accident doesn’t make any sense as he gets hit by a train, flies off and somehow, he can still drive into the water.
- In fact, some of the lines don’t even make any sense too, like when Putt-Putt said:"Sometimes, they worse". It should've been "Sometimes, they are worse", which is also a very bad dialogue in the US dub.
- This is likely due to the fact that Putt-Putt is portrayed as a Chinese stereotype that speaks English with poor grammar.
- And because of that, Putt-Putt is an embarrassing comic relief, in which his jokes such as "Slap my face" are unfunny, he is also an annoying scooter that never shuts up.
- Misleading poster: Even the poster makes no sense, it shows a picture of Wheely, Bella, Putt-Putt, Momma, Ben, Kaiser, Joe Flow, and Frank racing at night in Kuala Lumpur where the Petronas Twin Tower is, but it really does not look like it. It looks like that Gaiam Americas or The Asylum would've made it.
- The humor in this film is terrible as it consists of flatulence jokes, car puns, and Wheely shaking his buttocks off.
- There are even pop culture references in this film. For example, Wheely mentions Jurassic World at the beginning of the film, Which already sounds unnecessary, and what a dinosaur film has to do with a film about talking cars?
- The film's audio is mixed very loud, so it can be deafening, especially during the opening race of the film (this only implies in theaters when it was released).
- Some scenes are pretty violent and dark for a family film, a fine example is when Putt-Putt visits Frank, who is literally a creepy Frankenstein-looking car that uses Wheely's carcass like a cadaver, just for the sake of being a cardiologist.
- The animation and character designs are surprisingly good, especially for Malaysian standards unlike most other mockbusters like everything made by Vídeo Brinquedo or Spark Plug Entertainment.
- The beginning of the film is pretty exciting, although it’s ruined by pop culture references and Wheely's car crash.
- The original Malay and US dubs are decent, with renowned actors like Zizan Razak and Lisa Surihani on its cast.
- The final counter between Wheely and Kaiser is enjoyable.
- Wheely. Y8 Browser.