Stan Helsing (released in some countries as Scary Movie 5 (Not to be confused with the 2013 film with the same name), Mega Monster Movie or Horror Movie) is a 2009 Canadian-American horror comedy film written and directed by Bo Zenga. It stars Steve Howey, Diora Baird, Kenan Thompson, Desi Lydic and Leslie Nielsen. Released on October 23, 2009 by Anchor Bay Entertainment, the film is similar to the Scary Movie film series and is a parody of horror films.
Why It's a Messed Up Monster Mash
- Just like other bad parody films this one has lots of unfunny gross out humor, fart jokes, and toilet humor.
- Unlikable characters such as hitcher sully crazy altar boy the gas station couple.
- The monsters themselves rip-off every existing horror character, to the point that they even have similar names.
- Fweddy is a plagiarized copycat of Freddy Krueger from A Nightmare on Elm Street, as both of them are burnt serial killers who wear fedoras and striped sweaters and have bladed gloves while Fweddy's has random junk such as pencils and toothbrushes on it for fingers.
- Mason is a rip off of Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th since they wear hockey masks and as for Mason he wears a hockey jersey and carries a bloodstained hockey stick while Jason wears an old dirty brown jacket with black leather gloves and a machete.
- Michael Criers rips off Michael Myers from Halloween (1978) since they wear white masks and mechanic jumpsuits and Michael crier's mask does weird facial expressions just like Ghostface from Scary Movie (2000).
- Pleatherface rips off Leatherface from The Texas Chainsaw massacre (1974) since Leatherface wears a mask made of human skin while Pleatherface's mask is just made out of leather and gold earrings and Leatherface wields a chainsaw while Pleatherface wields a leafblower, which is stupid. Why give him a leafblower? Or give him a better power tool, maybe a hedge trimmer or weed wacker which is better than a leaf blower?
- Lucky rips off Chucky from the horror franchise of the same name since they are dolls that kill people and carry knives.
- Needlehead rips off Pinhead since they are demons that come from boxes and Needlehead comes from a food container which is stupid and ridiculous, and he has lots of thumb tacks and other junk that has needles on it while pinhead has pins on his head.
- Sammy rips off the undead evil dog from Pet Sematary 2 as both are pets that died and came back from the dead as murderous monsters.
- Some inappropriate moments such as Lucky spanking his plastic rear.
- Even the monsters movies rip off every existing 70's, 80's, and 90's horror movie titles, such as:
- A Daydream on Maple Street
- The black superman is a unfunny and annoying comic relief.
- Outdated reference to Marilyn Monroe where pleatherface uses his leaf blower on a girls skirt.
- The plot is is a rip-off of two video games called Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Monster Madness: Battle For Suburbia where teenagers see monsters from classic golden age horror movies (including 70's/80's/90's slasher films) attack their neighbors and the teenagers must save their neighbors and battle the monsters.
- Also the plot and title is a rip-off of Van Helsing (2004).
- The Infamous scene Where a anthropomorphic cockroach pees on stan.
- Stan is a likable character.
- The monsters while being rip-offs, they have some funny moments and they are likeable.
- Jaws (1975)
- Van Helsing (2004)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
- Child's Play (1988)
- Hellraiser (1987)
- Friday the 13th (1980)
- Friday the 13th: Part III (1982)
- Halloween (1978)
- The Blair Witch Project (1999)
- Pet Sematary (1989)
- Pet Sematary 2 (1992)
- The Ring (2002)
- Jeepers Creepers (2001)
Like the parody movies by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, the movie was critically panned by critics and audiences alike who criticized the humour, acting, writing, and the execution. It currently has a 3.6/10 on IMDb, and a critic score of 14% and a user score of 18% on Rotten Tomatoes.