Midori is an Japanese Anime movie based on the Manga Shoujo Tsubaki by Suehiro Maruo
A girl joins a freak circus after her mother died.
Why It Sucks
- Very cheap animation, even for 1992 standards that looks like if it was made in the 1970s.
- The characters are very bland and unlikable, the circus freaks are very cruel to Midori, Kanabun killed her pet dogs and made Midori and the freaks eath them, Uchisute raped Midori (although it isn't shown), Akaza also attacked Midori, and Arashi isn't better, he treats the freaks of his circus-like garbage and also tortures Midori.
- Lots of plot holes:
- Why the Arashi and the freaks abuse Midori?
- Why Uchisute has no arms?
- How Akaza lost his eye?
- Is Kanabun related to Arashi?
- What happened to Midori's father?
- Why before Midori and Masamitsu leave the circus Midori says thanks to them?
- Why Midori says that she wants to see the freaks again?
- a few scenes do not make sense, in one scene Midori and Kanabun's necks and Kanabun's penis stretch, and a Buddha with a Nazi symbol appears for no reason at the beginning and when Masamitsu gets mad and makes a strange face.
- It's very faithful to the Manga which the movie is based on.
- Beautiful art style.
- Passable voice acting.
The movie had a very negative reception on its release date, it was even banned in Japan at its time. However, after it was released on DVD in 2006, it gained a cult following due to its content, and it gained mixed reception from viewers and Amateur reviewers in recent years.
- Animation was made by only one person in 5 years.