Leatherface is a 2017 American horror film directed by Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo, written by Seth M. Sherwood, and starring Stephen Dorff, Vanessa Grasse, Sam Strike, and Lili Taylor. It is the eighth installment in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise, and works as a prequel to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), explaining the origin of the series' lead character.
A violent teen and three others kidnap a young nurse while escaping from a Texas mental institution. Pursued by a vengeful sheriff, the disturbed young man embarks on a murderous rampage that shapes him into a legendary killer known as Leatherface.
Why It Sucks
- Some of the sex scenes don't make any sense.
- Ike and Clarice are flat out despicable and unlikeable.
- Hartman is just a generic antagonist.
- The writing is all over the place, and the overall plot for the most part doesn't even feel like a Texas Chainsaw Massacre film.
- The other characters are either forgettable, or just in the movie to be killed.
- Even for a Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie, there are some bits that are too disturbing and too mean spirited.
- Jackson/Leatherface is a decent pro/antagonist.
- Lizzie, Bud, Verna, and Sorells are alright side characters.
- John Frizzell delivers another pretty decent and creepy score.
- The kills and gore effects are still pretty well done.
- The sets, locations, and costumes are well crafted.
- There are some pretty effective scary and disturbing moments.
Leatherface received generally mixed-to-negative reviews from moviegoers, fans and critics alike. On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, Leatherface received an approval rating of 30% based on 44 reviews, and an average rating of 4.05/10. Its consensus reads: "Leatherface may wear the skin of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel, but it proves gutless as an origin story and finds little invention in the horror tropes it's cannibalizing." On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating to reviews, the film has a weighted average score of 40 out of 100, based on 12 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews."