Twilight is a 2008 American romantic fantasy film based on Stephenie Meyer's novel of the same name. Directed by Catherine Hardwicke, the film stars Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson. It is the first film in The Twilight Saga film series.
High-school student Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), always a bit of a misfit, doesn't expect life to change much when she moves from sunny Arizona to rainy Washington state. Then she meets Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), a handsome but mysterious teen whose eyes seem to peer directly into her soul. Edward is a vampire whose family does not drink blood, and Bella, far from being frightened, enters into a dangerous romance with her immortal soulmate.
Why It Sucks
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson's performances are so wooden and lifeless to the point where they look like robots. Kristen Stewart has almost no emotion and has been known to constantly stutter her lines, while Robert Pattinson's attempt to cover up his English accent is laughable.
- The film's dialogue is very corny and laughable.
- Bella and Edward share no chemistry at all. Edward is an abusive partner, while Bella only fell in love with Edward all because of his looks and not for what he is.
- Edward is an unlikeable character. Edward literally stalks Bella and eavesdrops on her conversations. He also abuses and controls her.
- Also, Edward only loves Bella because she smells good. Yes, you read that right, he's only in love with her because she smells good!
- Bella Swan is uninteresting. She never develops as much and has almost no personality. She is also super naive and is super dependent on Edward without logic or reasoning.
- On top of that, neither Bella nor Edward have any character development at all!
- Also, Edward abuses Bella throughout their relationship, yet she still loves him!
- Horrible morals, such as "It's okay to abuse your partner", "It okay to become completely and blindly dependent on someone else without regard for logic or mental health", etc.
- It lacks the charm of the original book.
- It's a complete insult to vampires. For example, vampires don't sparkle when they walk in the sun. They turn to dust.
- Terrible special effects.
- Pointless scene where they play a game of baseball.
- The book, while mediocre, is way better.
- The film has a rather good grasp on the source material. Heck, Bella and Edward's actors even look like how Stephanie Meyer envisioned her characters.
- Beautiful and gorgeous cinematography.
- Peter Facinelli has the best performance in the movie, playing Carlise Cullen, Edward's father. Billy Burke, who plays Bella's father, Charlie, also ranks up there.
- Some unintentionally funny moments.
- Great soundtrack.
Based on 215 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 49%, with a weighted average score of 5.43/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "Having lost much of its bite transitioning to the big screen, Twilight will please its devoted fans, but do little for the uninitiated." On Metacritic, it has a weighted mean score of 56 based on 37 reviews from film critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- It spawned the "Still a better love story than Twilight" comments on any YouTube videos, and an Internet meme.
- This was the only Twilight film that didn't got nominated for a Golden Raspberry Award.