Troll 2 (originally as Goblin) is a 1990 Italian-American horror comedy B movie directed by Claudio Fragasso (under the pseudonym Drake Floyd) and starring Michael Stephenson, George Hardy, Margo Prey, Connie McFarland, Deborah Reed, and Jason Wright. This movie was actually supposed to be an original IP called Goblins, but United States distributors were skeptical about the film's ability to succeed as an indie film and renamed it Troll 2 in an attempt to market it as a sequel to the 1986 Empire Pictures film Troll. It ranks among of the best "so bad, its good" movies of all time alongside Showgirls, The Room, Plan 9 from Outer Space and Cool Cat Saves the Kids.
In 2009, the star of the movie Michael Stephenson went on to make a documentary about this movie entitled Best Worst Movie in celebration of this film's cult following.
A young boy is terrified to discover that a planned family trip is going to be attacked by vile plant-eating monsters out of his worst nightmare. His attempt to save his beloved family is assisted by the specter of his deceased grandfather. The town is eventually overrun by the creatures who plot to exterminate all the citizens and kill all of humanity.
Why It Should Be Trolled
- False advertising & Misleading title: There are no trolls in the movie. Instead, it features the Nilbogs, which is simply "goblin" spelled backward.
- To rub salt on the wound, the movie's original title was going to be Goblin, but as mentioned above, United States distributors were skeptical about the film's ability to succeed as an indie film and renamed it to what it is now. It's not actually related to the original Troll movie in any way.
- It has no connection to the original movie.
- The acting is just awful.
- Cheesy special effects.
- The nilbogs look extremely fake.
- The plot is barely followed.
- Unintentionally hilarious dialogue, such as when Arnold sees a girl getting eaten by the nilbogs, he screams "They're eating her, and then they're gonna eat me! Oh my Goooooooood!" in an overly-dramatic and forced way. To make it even funnier, a fly appears on his forehead between shots for no reason. It even became a meme.
- The marketing gimmick about it being a sequel of a movie whose creators had nothing to do with this one is somewhat immoral and stupid.
- Creedence, the antagonist is portrayed so badly in this film by both acting and character, that it makes the other characters look incredibly stupid that they don't notice or act suspicious of her.
- The death scenes are either lame, off-screen, or are never revealed.
- Tons of plot and logic holes. Like about how the nilbogs are vegetarians. Why would they need to turn humans into vegetables to survive when they could simply just eat regular vegetables they could find in forests and gardens?
- Horrible ending that is the biggest plot hole of the film, and it's a cliff-hanger.
- Most of the main characters are unlikeable and idiotic, especially Joshua's mother and sister.
- Some people can get some enjoyment of how utterly bad this film is.
- As mentioned above in WIS#7, the "Oh my Goooooooood!" quote is arguably the best part of the entire film, due to how ironically funny it is.