Top Cat Begins
Top Cat Begins (also known in Spanish as Don Gato: El Inicio de la Pandilla, translated to Top Cat: The Start of the Gang) is an Indian-Mexican computer-animated comedy film, produced by Ánima Estudios and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures in Mexico. Based on the animated television series, Top Cat, made by Hanna-Barbera, this film is a prequel to both the series and the movie, taking place before Top Cat met his gang.
The film premiered in Mexican theaters on October 30, 2015. The film was later released in the United Kingdom on May 27, 2016, distributed by Kaleidoscope Film Distribution and Warner Bros. UK. The film has received generally negative reviews, with critics criticizing the cheap animation and writing, and was a box office bomb, grossing $4.6 million on an $8 million budget.
The film is a backstory about "Top Cat" and his friends.
Why It Sucks
- Cheap-looking animation, but simply better than the first one.
- Like Top Cat: The Movie, it also shows how low the movie's budget is.
- A disappointing plot that tries to shoehorn in the origins like Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Begins, The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas.
- Sexual innuendos that are inappropriate for kids, like a cat watching a woman cat getting undressed.
- There is a scene where Top Cat swears at Mr. Big by saying "Fuck You!". This is shocking and inappropriate to hear in a children's movie. This was bleeped out in most English versions.
- Horrible writing.
- Cheap humor, which relies on mean-spiritedness and toilet humor.
- The scene when Benny poops in his diaper while acting like a baby is obnoxious and dumb.
- References some R-rated movies like Reservoir Dogs.
- Weak voice acting.
- Like its predecessor, Top Cat: The Movie, most of the actors make no attempt to sound like the characters in the original Top Cat cartoon. In particular, Brain has a much deeper voice.
- Bad Dog sounds like he has a sore throat.
- The background music is decent.
- The ending song "Best Day of My Life" is also good.
- The art style and character designs are passable, despite the poor quality animation.
- The gangs are more handy on the scams.
- The scams are more creative and an interesting twist.