The Tourist (2010)
The Tourist is a 2010 American romantic thriller comedy film co-written and directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck and starring Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp, Paul Bettany, and Timothy Dalton. It is a remake of the 2005 French film Anthony Zimmer. GK Films financed and produced the film, with Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions releasing it in most countries through Columbia Pictures. It was released on December 10, 2010.
During an impromptu trip to Europe to mend a broken heart, math teacher Frank Tupelo (Johnny Depp) finds himself in an extraordinary situation when an alluring stranger, Elise (Angelina Jolie), places herself in his path. Their seemingly innocent flirtation turns into a dangerous game of cat and mouse while various people, who all think that Frank is Elise's thieving paramour, Alexander Pearce, try to capture the pair.
Why It Sucks
- Boring and mess of a film. Even Depp and Jolie seem bored in certain scenes.
- Bland and uninteresting characters who don't share any chemistry between each other.
- It's clear that both Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp only did this film so they could have a holiday in Italy with how there's more boring long scenes of them vacationing than there is actual plot progress.
- The action scenes lack any sort of suspense and are just lacklustre.
- Predictability straight from the beginning by the obvious clues and symbolism that Frank Tupelo (Johnny Depp) would later reveal to be Alexander Pearce, Elise's lover.
- The law enforcement is completely incompetent throughout the film. For example, in the beginning surveillance scene, Elise Clifton-Ward (Angelina Jolie) is able to escape them by just walking as they run and drive after her.
- The plausibility of when they decipher the burnt-to-a-crisp secret message. Using computer technology they're able to figure what it says within 2 minutes, which seems incredibly unlikely, generally because it was burnt-to-a-crisp.
- European stereotypes like the no-nonsense Italian who thinks Americans are typical.
The Tourist received negative reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 20% based on 169 reviews and an average rating of 4.33/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "The scenery and the stars are undeniably beautiful, but they can't make up for The Tourist's slow, muddled plot, or the lack of chemistry between Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie.". On Metacritic, the film has a score of 37 out of 100 based on 37 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B" on an A+ to F scale.