The Postman is a 1997 American epic post-apocalyptic film that stars Kevin Costner, who also directed and produced. Eric Roth and Brian Helgeland helped write the screenplay. The film is based on a 1985 book written by David Brin. The film co-stars Will Patton, Larenz Tate, Olivia Williams, James Russo, and the late Tom Petty. The film is set in 1998 and then goes on to 2013.
In 1998, a majority of technology has been wiped out by an event called "The Doomswar" and a nomad called the Postman (Costner) goes out on a mission to fix the problems.
Why It Sucks
- Poor story.
- Poor adaptation of the book.
- Inaccurate futuristic-looking universe, 1998 wouldn't look like that.
- Boring and excessive amount of characters that are easy to forget about. Especially, the pointless cameo by the late Tom Petty.
- The premise is not interesting.
- False Advertising: In the home video trailer, the announcer says that "critics are calling it an epic vision with adventure, excitement, and hope as well as being breathtaking, a triumph for Kevin Costner, a most extraordinary film and an unforgettable adventure." despite it being almost universally panned.
- Laughable quotes like "You give out hope like it was candy in your pocket."
The Postman was panned by critics and audiences and currently holds a 9% "rotten" on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 3.8 out of 10 and holds a critic consensus that states "A massive miscalculation in self-mythologizing by director and star Kevin Costner, The Postman would make for a goofy good time if it weren't so fatally self-serious". Film critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert both gave the film a "thumbs down" and included it on the Worst Films of 1997 show. Ebert also described the film as "good-hearted" yet "goofy... and pretentious"..
The Postman opened at #9 on its opening weekend with a domestic gross of $5,260,324. The film would later make a total of $17,626,234. In foreign markets, it made $3,190,419. Overall, the film made $20,841,123 worldwide against its $80 million budget making it a box office bomb.
Awards and nominations
The Postman received 5 Golden Raspberry wins including Worst Picture and Worst Actor. It was nominated for 3 Saturn Awards including Best Actor for Kevin Costner.
- Kevin Costner as The Postman
- Larenz Tate as Ford Lincoln Mercury (John Stevens)
- Olivia Williams as Abby
- Will Patton as General Bethlehem
- James Russo as Captain Idaho
- Tom Petty as Bridge City Mayor (an alternate future version of himself)
- Daniel von Bargen as Pineview Sheriff Briscoe
- Scott Bairstow as Luke
- Giovanni Ribisi as Bandit 20
- Roberta Maxwell as Irene March
- Joe Santos as Colonel Getty
- Ron McLarty as Old George
- Brian Anthony Wilson as Woody
- Peggy Lipton as Ellen March
- Rex Linn as Mercer
- Shawn Hatosy as Billy
- Ryan Hurst as Eddie March
- Charles Esten as Michael
- Anne Costner as Ponytail
- Ty O'Neal as Drew
- Andrew Babel as Captain Strikard
- Cary Jordan as Dr. Stevens (Psychologist)
- Ellen Geer as Pineview Woman
- Tom Bower as Larry
- Lily Costner as Lily March
- Joe Costner as Letter Boy
- Judy Herrera as Carrier
- Greg Serano as California Carrier
- Mary Stuart Masterson as Hope, the Postman's daughter (uncredited)
- Joseph McKenna as Holnist Captain
- George Wyner as Benning Mayor
- At one point, Ron Howard was going to direct the film and would have had Tom Hanks in the lead role.
- This almost killed Kevin Costner's career as a director and he didn't direct again until he did the 2003 film Open Range.