The Open House
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Open House is a 2018 Netflix horror movie by Matt Angel and Suzanne Coote.
When they move into a new house, a teen and his mother find supernatural forces are out to threaten them.
Why It Sucks
- Very slow and dull plot.
- Excessive padding, especially when the characters visit the house.
- Stupidly exploits the "nothing is scarier" trope to the point that it isn't even scary anymore.
- The characters are extremely flat and unrelatable.
- Most of the actor's performances are phoned in.
- Poor research: in one scene a character tries to phone 911 but discovers there is no SIM card, which is stupid since emergency calls often work without SIM cards.
- Weird soundtrack that goes all over the place, often rising when there's no scare whatsoever.
- An unnecessary genre shift, as it almost quickly went from mediocrity good supernatural horror drama into a downright generic criminal horror for no reason.
- We never know who was that “Open house” murder was? As the writers we supposedly know him?
- There is no resolution or twist at all, making the whole film pointless.
- Piercey Dallon and Dylan Minnette (from another bad Netflix product, 13 Reasons Why) give decent performances.
- The cinematography is alright.