The Marine is a 2006 action thriller produced by Twentieth Century Fox and WWE Studios. The film stars John Cena, Robert Patrick, Kelly Carlson, Anthony Ray Parker and Abigail Bianca, written by Michael Gallagher, Michelle Gallagher and Alan B. McElroy, and directed by John Bonito.
It was followed by a number of direct-to-video sequels: The Marine 2, The Marine 3: Homefront, The Marine 4: Moving Target, The Marine 5: Battleground, and the upcoming The Marine 6: Close Quarters.
Why It Sucks
- Weak plot with terrible dialogue.
- Scenes that add nothing to the plot and only serve to include more action scenes that extend the film's run time.
- Over-the-top explosions and shootout scenes.
- Terrible attempts at comedy, including a running gag involving rock candy that ends with a rape joke.
- No sort of character development. All of the characters are pretty much one-dimensional.
- The motivations for the villains aren't explored and they just commit crimes because they're evil.
- The plausibility of John Triton (John Cena) surviving all of the explosions as well as Rome (Robert Patrick) surviving the explosion at the end. Whilst entertaining at first, it just throws all realism out of the window.
- Abrupt ending. After John kills Rome, he then just makes out with Kate (Kelly Carlson) as the police arrive and that's it.