The Little Mermaid (GoodTimes)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Little Mermaid is a 1992 GoodTimes animated adaptation of the Hans Christian Anderson novel of the same name.
A young mermaid princess risks being turned forever into sea-foam in order to fulfill her dreams of marrying her true love.
Why It Sucks
- Choppy, low-key animation, even for 1992.
- Several moments in the film flat out rips-off Disney’s adaption of the original book.
- The way Casandra (the sea witch) does her magic, performs her spells and takes Lena’s voice is exactly how Ursula does her magic and takes Ariel’s voice.
- The scene where Lena sees Prince Stefan and his crew partying on a ship while watching overboard is exactly how Ariel watches Prince Eric and his crew partying on a similar ship, down to the point where they copy the fireworks part.
- The fact that Lena has sisters with different colored mermaid tails is exactly like Ariel and her sisters.
- Prince Stefan’s design is a full-on copy of Prince Eric’s design (with a ponytail).
- Mediocre voice acting and occasionally poorly-done lip syncing.
- Vink (Lena’s dolphin friend) is an incredibly whiny and annoying character, stealing personality traits from Flounder, which he is rip-off of.
- Very butchered character and story development.
- Very poor grasp at the source material and relies more on copying Disney’s own creative adjustments.
- There are many animation errors, such as one of the human characters appearing to have green skin.
- The only part of the film’s plot it has that’s loyal to the source material is if the mermaid doesn’t marry the prince in time, she’ll turn into sea foam.
- Corey Burton