The Legend of Hercules
The Legend of Hercules is a 2014 action-fantasy film directed by Renny Harlin (best known for the Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger and The Long Kiss Goodnight fame), written by Daniel Giat and Sean Hood and starring Kellan Luts, Gaia Weiss and Scott Adkins. The film is about the mythological Greek hero/god of strength Heracles (known in the film by his Roman name Hercules).
Hercules uses his formidable powers to fight back and reclaim his the kingdom after his stepfather betrayed him and after being sold into slavery.
Why It Sucks
- The story is poorly written and uninteresting.
- Terrible special effects that can look very video game-esque.
- Overuse of slow motion.
- Poor acting, especially from Kellan Lutz and Scott Adkins.
- The action scenes are forgettable.
- It rips off Gladiator, 300 and Clash of the Titans.
- Weak romance scenes.
- The costume designs look awful.
- Laughable dialogue.
- The film is derivative of several sword and sandal/Greek mythology movies.
- Poor grasp of Greek myths:
- Hebe is supposed to be Hercules' first love interest, but in the story, she was his fourth and final wife after he became immortal and was granted passage into Olympus. Not to mention, Hebe was the goddess of youth and not a mortal princess.
- After Hercules and his brother Iphicles head back to the castle, they battle the Nemean lion, when the battle with the Namean lion took place much later in the timeline after Hercules decides to be a hero.
- Chiron is a mortal human instead of a centaur in the original myths.
- The movie is unintentionally hilarious.
- Hercules being betrayed by his stepfather and sold into slavery is emotional and heartbreaking.
The Legend of Hercules was universally panned by critics and audiences and currently holds a 3% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The Legend of Hercules grossed $61.3 million worldwide against its $70 million budget resulting in it becoming a box office disaster.
Award and Nominations
The film was nominated for six Golden Raspberry Awards including Worst Picture and Worst Actor, but lost all to Saving Christmas.
- This film was one of two movies based on Hercules released in 2014. The second film, simply titled Hercules, starring Dwayne Johnson, fared better at the box-office and received better reviews.
- This is the second film based on classical mythology which stars Kellan Lutz. The first was Immortals, in which he starred as Poseidon.
- Hercules's love interest is called Hebe. In classical mythology, Hebe was the daughter of Zeus and Hera, goddess of youth and cup-bearer of Olympus. After Hercules died and ascended to Mount Olympus, Hera formed a truce with him and allowed him to marry her daughter.