The Garbage Pail Kids Movie
"I'm Norm of the North, king of nothing." — Norm, Norm of the North
This is a good article.
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie is a 1987 American live action film adaptation of the then-popular series of children's trading cards. It was produced, directed, and co-written by Rod Amateau and is the last film to be directed by Amateau before his retirement and subsequent death in 2003.
For those who don't know, the cards were a parody of the popular Cabbage Patch Kids dolls and each card featured a character that typically had a gross habit, abnormality, or suffered a terrible fate. The film depicted many of the Garbage Pail Kids (played by dwarf actors in costumes) interacting with society and befriending a regular boy.
A garbage can spacecraft is seen flying near Earth. The same garbage can is then shown inside an antique shop owned by Captain Manzini. A 12-years old boy named Dodger is chased by two 20 year olds in a park. Their leader shows up in front of Dodger and calls him, a "creep", who threatens him to give him money to him. Dodger pleased him not to. But, he ignores and calls him "a little baby" who is "gonna cry". So, Juice sends his henchman named Wally to hold Dodger upside down and their leader steal his money as two women of the gang watched. drops him in a puddle. One of them, Tangerine (the leader's girlfriend) says that the leader's name is Juice and he is hers. So, Juice tells Wally to drop Dodger to the puddle as Wally kicks him along with henchwoman, Blythe laughing and humiliating him as the two cronies leave with Juice holding with Tangerine. Dodger stands up, being sad and leaves, too being covered in mud. So, Dodger goes to Manzini's antique shop where he works. Manzini takes Dodger's clothes and cleans them while warning him to stay away from the garbage can.
Later, Dodger sees Tangerine, Juice's girlfriend, who seems to be the most compassionate one towards Dodger, and tries to persuade her to buy something. Dodger is attracted to Tangerine and covertly smells her hair while she is distracted. Juice and his two cronies enter the shop and attempt to rough up Dodger again for touching Tangerine again and calls him a "creep", again. Tangerine pleads that Dodger has enough and wants Juice to not beat him up and forget it. Much to that, Juice tells that the "little creep", Dodger needs to be taught a lesson because it's his matter of principles. In response, Tangerine tells him, that he always care about making people, "bleed". Dodger manages to outwit them. However, amidst the tussle, the garbage can is knocked over. Juice points to Wally to then bring Dodger outside of the store. So, Tangerine tells Juice what to do with him. He said that he wants that "Scuzbug", Dodger to a "a little journey". But Tangerine pleads him to stop and leave Dodger so that they'll have "fun". As Juice responds, he ignores him and send Dodger into a sewer, to a rail, and open a sewage pipe on him. Juice leaves the sewer and says to Dodger to "see him later" and calls him a "creep", the third time. As Dodger lies down, he was then saved by little mysterious people named the Garbage Pail Kids.
Manzini returns and is upset that the Garbage Pail Kids have been released from their can, but introduces Dodger to each of them: Greaser Greg is a leather jacket-clad greaser with a violent attitude; Messy Tessie is a girl with a constantly runny nose; Windy Winston is an insane boy who wears a Hawaiian shirt and often farts violently; Valerie Vomit is a girl who throws up on command; Foul Phil is a whining hungry baby with halitosis who constantly asks characters if they are his "mommy" or "daddy"; Nat Nerd is an obese acne-riddled boy who poorly dresses up like a superhero and wets his pants frequently; and Ali Gator, the group's natural leader, is an anthropomorphic half person/half alligator who has an appetite for human toes. Manzini explains that the kids are forbidden from going in public, because they'll be attacked by the "normies" (normal people), and that he can't get the kids to go back into the garbage can without magic.
The next day, Dodger goes with Tangerine to a night club where she sells clothes she designed herself. Dodger behaves awkwardly when Tangerine removes her shirt to sell it. Dodger then hides when Juice shows up. Meanwhile, the Kids then steal a Pepsi truck, flatten Juice's car with it, and then have a camp fire in an alley with stolen food. The next morning, the Garbage Pail Kids recover from hangovers and give Dodger a jacket they sewed. The jacket impresses Tangerine who asks Dodger to get more clothes so she can sell them. The Kids get bored and decide to wear disguises to go out in public. First they go to a theater playing The Three Stooges shorts and behave obnoxiously. Ali and Windy go to a bar where they start a fight with bikers, who are soon won over by the Kids' heroics, in which they celebrate with beers. The Kids make more clothes for Dodger after stealing a sewing machine and singing a song about working together.
Tangerine sells the clothes and begins to prepare for a fashion show based on them. She meets the Kids and is repulsed by them, but realizes she can take advantage of their designs.The night of the fashion show, Tangerine locks the Kids in the basement of the antique shop so that they don't escape, and soon, they are captured by Juice and his gang who bring them to the State Home for the Ugly, a prison where people too ugly for society are brought and executed. People there include the "too fat" Santa Claus, the "too bald" Gandhi, and the "too skinny" Abraham Lincoln. Unable to escape, the Kids instead cry. In response, the security guards of the home tells another one if they should cut them up. However, the other guard said that the Kids will be "gone". The guard questioned where. He reveals that the Kids will be killed much to the Kids in horror.
At the fashion show, Dodger shows up to Tangerine, but realizes Juice and his gang arrived. Juice smerks. Dodger asked Tangerine where the kids are. But said that they are in the State Home for the Ugly. Enraged, Dodger was about to punch Juice, but is taken by Juice's cronies. So, Juice tells his cronies to take him outside. Juice confronts Tangerine and tells her that this is for coming after Dodger and leaves. Juice's cronies grabbed Dodger and toss him in the Garbage bin to keep him out of trouble, but he was able to open the bin and go to the unconscious Manzini, who tells him that the Kids are captured and as Dodger goes to the "Toughest Bar in the World" to warn the bikers that the Kids are in trouble and need help. They respond and go to the state home. They were able to rescue the Kids as Captain Manzini tells Dodger and the Kids that they need to go back to the stop. But Greaser Greg refuses and wanted to go to the fashion show to "squeeze em some juice". Dodger pleads that they are tired of being losers. So, Manzini may think Juice is "dangerous", perhaps he might be better off a jerk. They go to the fashion as they take off women's clothes. Then, Dodger attacks Juice (as revenge for what he did to Tangerine) with the Kids. But, Manzini stops him as Dodger cries and said that Juice is not worth for beating him up.
While Dodger and Manzini go back to the Antique shop with the Kids, Tangerine arrives in her car as Dodger looks at her in confusion. So, she tells him that the fashion show was a "big success" and thought Dodger was a "hit" (because of his fashion designs). Dodger distrusts Tangerine and thinks she's not pretty anymore (because of her greed and the way she double crossed him for Juice and his gang by capturing the Garbage Pail Kids to the State Home for the Ugly) and goes inside the shop, much to Tangerine's saddening.
Why It's Garbage (pun intended)
- The Garbage Pail Kids themselves are downright horrifying and just plain grotesque to look at.
- The Garbage Pail Kids are awkwardly characterized, often making immoral things and suddenly changing to good behavior (though in equally strange ways).
- Despite the title, the Garbage Pail Kids aren't so much as main characters as they are more of the supportive characters of the film. The film focuses more on Dodger, Manzini, Tangerine and Juice.
- This movie is very mean spirited, and also an insult of the Garbage Pail Kids card series.
- The human characters are treated like bland American stereotypes in the 80's, but they are dubbed "Normies" by the Garbage Pail Kids.
- Dodger is a very generic and pointless protagonist, who always is a Butt-Monkey all the time. We then see him get bullied by Juice every single scene.
- His portrayal is what you expect from a main human character, where is shown to be a harmless punching bag who thinks being like this is not worth it, and cries about it. That's why he will never grow up.
- Juice is a rip off of Biff Tannen from Back To The Future, who is also loan shark that has no reason to torment Dodger except for the fun of it by calling him a "creep". Not helping the fact that Juice is a just a one-dimensional villain who is smittening her girlfriend, Tangerine. He is especially mean-spirited and selfless who shows no respect to his girlfriend, Tangerine, but does things like stealing Dodger's money, throwing him down to the brown puddle, tried to lure Dodger from smittening Tangerine by putting him inside the sewers, using Tangerine to lure the Garbage Pail Kids by take them to the State Home for the Ugly, and uses his cronies to take Dodger into the garbage bin.
- His "principles" lines get old very quickly and don't make any sense just for caring about getting money and keeping Dodger out of trouble.
- False Advertising: The poster's tagline say "Out of the Garbage Pail and into your heart", when it totally doesn't have a heart or charm at all.
- Tangerine, went from a crush to Dodger and then later double crosses Dodger to work with Juice, in order to find the Garbage Pail Kids and take them to the State Home for the Ugly.
- The masks of the Garbage Pail Kids' faces are horribly-made, with really bad-looking styles and mouths that sometimes never move. The worst offenders are Ali Gator and Valerie Vomit, since Ali Gator has his mouth open in the wide screens and Valerie has her eyes malfunctioning most of the time. Even Messy Tessie's face looks absolute more horrific to the six of the Kids.
- Its content is highly inappropriate for a PG film. The movie relies on mostly grotesque humor, based on sex, gross-out, violence and adult content in general. Examples are the idea of a place called "The State Home for the Ugly" where those deemed as ugly are kept and later executed, Nat Nerd wetting his pants four times, and a bar called "The Toughest Bar in the World", which is, get this, "tough".
- As for "The Toughest Bar in the World", it mostly works more as a slogan than a name for a bar.
- Terrible editing. At one point when Tangerine takes Dodger a drive in her convertible, it was day time. By the time she answers Dodger's question: "So what do we do when we get here?" it was already night time.
- There is a completely pointless romantic subplot between Dodger and Tangerine.
- This movie is loaded with pointless scenes of the Garbage Pail Kids causing trouble around town, which serve no purpose other than being filler.
- Most of the voice acting for the Garbage Pail Kids is badly done (which wasted the voice talents of Jim Cummings who voiced Winnie the Pooh from the Disney franchise of the same name) , and the acting for the humans is very poor and downright bland.
- The first half of the story has no plot lines, while the second half has too many plot lines revolving around Dodger and Manzini searching for the remaining Garbage Pail Kids while Dodger is helping Tangerine with selling the clothes.
- It does not feel like a family-friendly film, but it feels like a generic "bully-revenge" story where the Garbage Pail Kids tried to show the humans or "normies" that they aren't ugly.
- Inconsistent soundtrack that mostly consists of annoying pop songs sang by the Garbage Pail Kids.
- In the end of the movie, Dodger and the Garbage Pail Kids act very out of character where they try to go to Tangerine's fashion show for revenge. After that, Dodger doesn't get Tangerine back with him, not because she used him for labor and let Juice get rid of the Garbage Pail Kids to the State Home For The Ugly, it's just that he doesn't find her pretty anymore and distrusts her from making Dodger, a "hit" for his fashion designs, and her fashion show being a "big success".
- The names of the characters are very stupid, i mean... what kind of parent names your kids Juice, Tangerine or Dodger?
The Only Redeeming Quality
- Dodger, Manzini, and the kids do rescue all the prisoners from The State Home for the Ugly.
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie was universally panned by critics and audiences alike. The film currently holds a rare 0% on Rotten Tomatoes with an average of 1.9 out of 10, but lacks a consensus. Caryn James of The New York Times stated in her review "The Garbage Pail Kids Movie is enough to make you believe in strict and faraway boarding schools." Felix Vasquez, Jr. of Cinema Crazed described it as "a terrible, terrible movie, but one that oddly warrants at least one viewing for the masochistic and morbidly curious". It is often considered one of the worst movies of all time.
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie grossed $661,512 domestically on its opening weekend and made a total gross of $1.6 million against its $1 million budget making it a box office bomb.
Awards and nominations
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie was nominated for three Golden Raspberry Awards, one for Worst Original Song (but lost to Beverly Hills Cop III), Worst Visual Effects (but lost to Jaws: The Revenge), and Worst New Star (but lost to David Mendenhall in Over the Top). The film was also nominated for Worst Picture at the Stinkers Bad Movie Awards and a Stinkers Bad Movie Awards for Worst Picture, but lost to Spaceballs.
- The main reason for the huge amount of adult content in the movie is because this was originally meant to be a horror film about Garbage Pail Kids born from broken dolls when a radioactive sludge finds its way into a bunch of garbage cans filled with said broken dolls, turning them into serial killers. For some unexplained reason they decided to turn the movie into a family film, while still leaving the script unaltered regarding the presence of highly inappropriate content for kids.
- The movie is Doug Walker's #1 most hated movie. He considers it to be the #1 worst film he's reviewed as The Nostalgia Critic due to the poorly written story, unexplained scenes, way too much padding and how highly inappropriate and painful this film is.
- Due to the extreme lack of success, plans for a sequel and a remake were cancelled.
- In an interview years later, Mackenzie Astin (Dodger) and Arturo Gil (Windy Winston) both criticized the film (though Gil said he thought the film was laughable).
- WatchMojo.com has pointed out that the film was so grotesque and inappropriate that it was pulled from theaters.
- Captain Manzini shares his name with the main villain of the TV series My Mother The Car which the film's director, Rod Amateau also produced and occasionally directed; an oddly fitting link considering that series was regarded as one of the worst TV shows of all time and this is seen as one of the worst films of all time.
- Voice actor Jim Cummings (who voiced Greaser Greg and Nat Nerd) has disowned the film.