The Dukes of Hazzard (2005)
The Dukes of Hazzard is a 2005 action comedy film that is loosely based on the hit TV series of the same name starring Johnny Knoxville, Jessica Simpson, Seann William Scott, Burt Reynolds and Willie Nelson.
Like in the TV series, Bo, Luke and Daisy get in hot water with the law. Except, it's more extreme.
Why It Sucks
- The story is weak.
- Unfunny and inappropriate jokes in a film based on a show that was family-friendly such as making the character of Daisy Duke more overtly sexual than she was in the TV show.
- None of the original cast members make appearances in the film.
- Flat characterization.
- Burt Reynolds was miscast as Boss Hogg.
- A bunch of scenes drag on for quite some time.
- Why did there need to be a scene that took place in the city? The show is set in the rural community of Hazzard County.
- The Dukes antics get rather extreme in the movie. For example: in one scene, Jesse throws a Molotov cocktail at a sheriff's car.
- There's little faith to the source material.
- The General Lee is an awesome car.
- The car chase scenes are pretty awesome.
- Some jokes can be pretty funny.
The film currently holds a 14% on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 3.6 out of 10 and a critic consensus that reads "A dumb, goofy, and vacuous adaptation of a TV show where plot is simply an excuse to string together the car chases.." Both Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper gave it a "thumbs down". Richard Roeper deemed the film as the worst film of 2005 while Roger Ebert deemed it the second worst film of that year.
The film was released on August 5, 2005 and opened up at #1 on its opening weekend making a domestic gross of $30,675,314. The total domestic gross was $80,270,227. In foreign markets, it made $30,799,288. Overall, the film made $111,069,515 against its $50 million budget.
Awards and nominations
The film was nominated for seven Golden Raspberry Awards for Worst Picture, Worst Director, Worst Screenplay, Worst Supporting Actor, Worst Supporting Actress, and Worst Remake or Sequel. The film lost all of the Razzies to Dirty Love.