The Addams Family 2
The Addams Family 2 is a 2021 computer-animated supernatural black comedy road film directed by Greg Tiernan and Conrad Vernon, co-directed by Laura Brousseau and Kevin Pavlovic, written by Dan Hernandez, Benji Samit, Ben Queen, and Susanna Fogel with a story by Hernandez and Samit, and based on the characters created by Charles Addams. Serving as a sequel to the 2019 film, the film features the voices of Oscar Isaac, Charlize Theron, Chloë Grace Moretz, Nick Kroll, Javon Walton (replacing Finn Wolfhard), Snoop Dogg, Bette Midler, and Bill Hader.
It was theatrically and digitally released in the United States by United Artists Releasing and internationally by Universal Pictures on October 1, 2021.
Morticia and Gomez are distraught that their children are growing up, skipping family dinners, and overly consumed with "scream time". To reclaim their bond, they decide to cram Wednesday, Pugsley, Uncle Fester, and the crew into their haunted camper and hit the road for one last miserable family vacation. Their adventure across the United States takes them out of their element and into run-ins with their cousin Itt and other kooky characters.
Why They're Mostly Unhappy to See You Again
- Hotel Transylvania 3 already had a concept about vacation, making this film a rip-off, but with humans. Also, this plot was used in many other movies that came before this.
- Towards the end of the film, the film makes heavy use of very bright strobe effects, making it seem like society has completely forgotten the Electric Soldier Porygon Incident that happened 24 years prior, and also has other flashing sequences to.
- Humor that seems like it's an r/fellowkids post, especially the one "Squad Goals" joke.
- Cyrus Strange is a generic twist villain and laughably predictable.
- Has absolutely ZERO faithfulness to the source material from Charles Addams.
- Uncle Fester turning into an octopus, while a good idea on paper, is not executed well.
- Unneccasary product placement for Progressive.
- Still questionable casting choices, such as Snoop Dogg as Cousin Itt.
- There's a laughable joke regarding social distancing which could be considered insulting towards absolutely everyone, cause of the COVID-19 pandemic. IN A KIDS MOVIE.
- A lazy dance party ending that you can see in many modern movies, again.
- Almost all of the characters are still flanderized in this film and still unlikable.
- The art style is still bland since it tries to mimic the old The Addams Family, but falls flat.
- The animation is still good, and the character designs for The Addams Family are faithfully translated from Charles Addams' 1938 art style.
- The voice acting is still decent, like the first one.
- The final battle scene is alright.
The Addams Family 2 received negative reviews from critics who criticized the humor and story. On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 20% based on 35 reviews, with an average rating of 4.7/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Altogether ooky, and not in a good way.". Metacritic assigned the film a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, based on 16 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".