The Addams Family (2019)
The Addams Family is a 2019 animated black comedy horror film directed by Greg Tiernan and Conrad Vernon of Sausage Party fame and based on the characters of the same name by Charles Addams.
The Addams Family must prepare for a new family reunion while they clash with an evil reality host.
- The film is way too lighthearted compared to the source material.
- A few of the family members have been flanderized.
- Gomez turned from a bumbling yet well meaning husband and father into a reckless and energetic nutjob. Also, he's more demure and nervous.
- Morticia turned from a beautiful and caring wife into a overprotective control freak who wants nothing with the outside world.
- Wednesday is noticeably more rude, albeit marginally.
- Lurch is mainly just mute, making weird grunting sounds.
- Pugsley has the worst flanderization out of them all. He turned into someone who wants to OUTRIGHT KILL his family members out of pure malice instead of playfulness. He also slacks off in the movie.
- The new characters aren't that good either.
- Magraux Needler is a bland villain who wants the Addams gone just because.
- Her daughter Parker is a weak, clichéd and bland rebellious girl character.
- Bethany is a mean girl.
- Very ugly character designs for the new characters. Likewise, Cousin Itt has arms for some reason.
- Poor humor and jokes, such as an GMW reference and Wednesday trying to bring a frog back to life at school during a frog dissection. Needless to say, for the latter, watch the movie yourself, and, uh...
- Questionable casting choices, such as Snoop Dogg as Cousin Itt.
- The pop songs and the rap update to The Addams Family theme song are just an attempt to make the Addams Family seem hip and cool.
- Really bland art style, which tries to be like the original 1937 comics, but somehow it doesn't give a fascinating vibe.
- Not very faithful to the source material.
- Forgets about Pugsley's subplot and felt more like a running gag.
- It's nice to see the Addams Family again.
- The animation isn't that bad, and the character designs for The Addams Family are faithfully translated from Charles Addams' 1937 art style.
- Decent voice performances, despite being questionable.
- Despite roughly transitioning into 3D, the designs of the Addams family is very faithful to the original cartoon series.
- Some moments worth a laugh, such as Uncle Fester's reprise of "I Haven't Got a Hat."
- Uncle Fester and Grandmama weren't that flanderized.
- The music score is good to listen to, and The Addams Family theme briefly played before the end credit is a nice nod to the source material.
- The message of being okay to be different is faithful to one of the source material's main themes.
- A sweet subplot with Wednesday exploring the outside world.
- The Addams's house being painted pink is a neat reference to the colourised version of Addams Family by MGM Studios. (as the actual house was painted pink as it helped bring the black and white footage out better)
The Addams Family received mixed to negative reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes, has a rating of 44% and an average rating of 5.29/10, based on 154 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "The Addams Family's starry voice cast and eye-catching animation aren't enough to outweigh its saccharine handling of the delightfully dark source material." On Metacritic, the film has a average score of 46 out of 100, based on 22 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews."
The directors of this film previously directed Sausage Party.
A Sequel is currently in development for 2021.