Superhero Movie is a 2008 American superhero comedy film written and directed by Craig Mazin, produced by Robert K. Weiss and David Zucker, and starring Drake Bell, Sara Paxton, Christopher McDonald, and Leslie Nielsen. It was originally titled Superhero! as a nod to one of the Zuckers' previous films, Airplane!, in which Nielsen also starred.
A spoof of the superhero film genre, primarily the first Spider-Man, as well as other modern-day Marvel Comics film adaptations, the film follows in the footsteps of the Scary Movie series of comedies, with which the film's poster shares a resemblance. It was also inspired by, and contains homages to, some of Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker's earlier spoof films such as Airplane! and The Naked Gun.
It was released on March 28, 2008 in the United States to generally negative reviews from critics (but more positive than earlier entries such as Date Movie and Meet the Spartans) and moderate box office success.
After a bite from a genetically altered insect gives him superhuman abilities, teenage loser Rick Riker decides to use his powers for good. Donning an uncomfortably tight costume, Rick becomes a mysterious crime fighter known as The Dragonfly. But standing in the way of truth, justice and the American Way is an evil villain known as The Hourglass, who plans to become immortal by sucking the life force out of anyone who gets in his way.
Why It Sucks
- Terrible acting.
- It's filled to the brim with gross-out jokes, racist jokes, sex jokes and fart jokes.
- Despite parodying 2002's Spider-Man, it however just combines it with the X-Men film franchise which is pointless.
- A pointless subplot with Professor X having Rick to join his school.
- Poor special effects.
- Cringe-worthy joke where a glass shard gets stuck in the villain’s eye.
- Pointless celebrity cameos.
- Dragged-out scene where Rick's aunt Lucille farts while sleeping and while being absorbed by Hourglass.
- Unlikeable characters like Rick's bully and nephew of Lou Landers/ Hourglass, Lance Landers, and his gang.
- It rips off Bruce Wayne's parents being shot depicted in Batman Begins.
- When Rick's uncle, Albert gets shot, NOBODY is concerned and they just got sucked in to a stupid monkey.
- Unfunny and terrible jokes.
- False advertising: In the poster, Dragonfly appears to have elasticity powers, but he doesn't have them in the movie, just that he needs dragonfly wings.
- A few funny moments from Leslie Nielsen and Kevin Hart.
- Thankfully at the end of the film, Rick and Joan do reunite their relationship.
- Monks praying and punching people to the ground was funny.
- The main villain's backstory and plan is actually pretty interesting.
- Drake Bell's acting is pretty good in this movie.
- Spider-Man (2002)
- Fantastic Four
- Batman Begins
- The Naked Gun
- Mean Girls
- Forrest Gump
- Mission: Impossible
- Final Destination
- The Girl Next Door
- This Is Scientology: An Overview of the World's Fastest Growing Religion
- Superhero Movie (2008) - Trailer