Sunday School Musical
Sunday School Musical is a religious musical film mockbuster released direct-to-DVD on October 21, 2008. It is similar to Disney's High School Musical franchise, but the film takes a dramatically different approach in terms of storyline.
When financial woes threaten their church's future, a group of teens, led by one talented performer, enters a song and dance competition in hopes of winning a heavenly cash prize.
Why It's Anything But Your ORDINARY High School
- For starters, it's a blatant rip-off of High School Musical, and the DVD cover alone is enough to drive home the message that it was made solely to cash in on it.
- The audio is constantly bouncing up and down. Like, one minute, the characters are talking in low voices, the next, the sound quality has suddenly shot up for no apparent reason.
- The songs often come off as annoying and downright irritating to listen to.
- Unlikeable characters who, no matter the situation, always must have a reason to yell and get mad at each other. For example, when everyone discovered Zachary was moving (and not even that far away), they get angry and start yelling at him, even though it's in no way, his fault that his mother lost her job and the family has to move. Another example would be Savannah yelling at her father for "not understanding what she's going through".
- Speaking about that, Zachary wasn't even moving that far away, but he treats it like it's a big deal and he'll never be able to see anyone in his community again.
- False Advertising: You see those green jackets the characters are wearing in the poster? Yeah, they never actually wear them in the movie.
- Misleading title: Despite being called "Sunday School Musical", it doesn't actually take place in a [presumed but unidentified Protestant] Sunday School. It takes place in a regular school throughout the majority of the film.
- There's no introduction or opening act, and the movie just immediately bombards you with the song without giving you any insight into the plot.
- The movie literally instantly kicks off with the main character singing about dreams by singing the same phrase over and over again, which can get pretty annoying after a while.
- The movie has an entire 5 minutes dedicated to Savannah simply studying (aka being filler), and literally nothing else. No character/plot development, no heartwarming moments, nothing funny, or literally anything else happens in those 5 minutes of her studying. It's just, Savannah studying, and that's it for a solid 5 minutes.
- The editing is hilariously awful.
- In one scene, Zach starts inexplicably doing things in the bathroom like breathing loudly and swings from the toilet stall, for absolutely no reason.
- And while we're on the subject, random plot beats are just randomly thrown in with no build-up, like Savannah's mother's death, and Zach's father suddenly returning from the military at the end (the latter of which most likely being inserted to make a "happy ending").
- EVEN MORE FALSE ADVERTISING: When the poster says "Not your ordinary high school!", it is really false, as stated.
- Some unintentionally funny moments.
- The gang performing to raise money to save the Church and Zach's father returning from the military, while they both did just randomly pop up out of nowhere, was pretty sweet.
- As terrible as it is, it's still one of the better films made by The Asylum.