Smosh: The Movie
Smosh: The Movie is a 2015 American adventure comedy film directed by Alex Winter starring the YouTube comedy duo Smosh (Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox) with appearances from other YouTube stars, such as Jenna Marbles, Grace Helbig, Markiplier, and Harley Morenstein. This is Smosh's first full-length film and revolves around the duo going inside YouTube virtually to alter a clip that will ruin Anthony's chances of winning over his crush, Anna Reed. The film premiered in Los Angeles at Vidcon 2015 on July 23 and was released in the United States on July 24, 2015.
Two long life friends, Ian and Anthony, get invited to their 5-year high school reunion. There's a girl who Anthony had a crush on. A video leaks on the school website when he got a mic up his butt singing at his prom. He goes to YouTube to get it removed. The head of YouTube, Steve YouTube, lets them into a portal where they can change the video. With an all star cast Ian Hecox, Anthony Padilla and Michael Ian Black, this is definitely the duo Smosh's best success.
- Most of Smosh's comedy from their YouTube channel is changed into a generic high school comedy, and quickly fails at doing that.
- An awfully animated CGI segment at the beginning of the film (Though it was actually from a web series of Smosh).
- The acting is a mixed bag.
- Despite Smosh being YouTubers, the movie ironically has no idea how YouTube works. The CEO, Steve YouTube, says you can’t delete a video after it’s put up and you have to go inside YouTube to rectify it when in reality, all it takes a literal push of a button to delete the video.
- It shows that Awesomeness TV knows nothing about Smosh or YouTube whatsoever.
- There are two scenes contained random and offensively dated anti-furry jokes with no build-up, as for example, where Anthony was sent into a YouTube video about a Furry rave party (enough the video's topic was never referred, in the film itself), where we supposedly and heavily implied this turns into "kinky" (which is furries accidentally clustering around Anthony thinking he's a partygoer), but it didn't happen and quickly pointless, as Anthony teleported into another random YouTube video to continue the plot.
- And later in the movie, that the fake animal ears from the same scene, were found their way in Anna's closet and reveal that her late uncle Keith was a furry, as we supposed to laugh at him?
- Random cameos of Markiplier and EpicMealTime that are only used for a quick joke.
- The green screen effects are horrible. Whenever it’s used, Ian and Anthony always look like they’re jogging in place.
- Devoid of interesting visuals that could've done better.
- Wasted potential with some jokes.
- The movie's editing is dreadful, especially when Anthony and Ian are running from the gorilla with a chainsaw.
- The pacing is terrible and despite the film being only 84 minutes long, it feels much longer than that.
- Ian actually does a good job at acting, even Anthony's inconsistent acting is very entertaining to watch.
- The outtakes in the end credits of the film are reminiscent of their YouTube videos.
- The ending was kind of funny with Ian going "What the f**k" when he finds out that Butt-Massage Girl is named Brad.
- It does stays faithful to the web series.
- Some funny jokes here and there.
- Decent soundtrack.
- Mark Fischbach (Markiplier)'s cameo was pretty good, despite only being for a quick joke as mentioned above.
- It was originally going to have an R rating due to heavy amount of sexual and foul-mouthed content that was confirmed by Ian Hecox during his interview with Cold Ones.
- The film was released on DVD one month after its theatrical release mainly due to the negative feedback.
- Smosh themselves constantly mocked the film such as the sayings " Yea Anthony you aren't accepted, Sorry we watched Smosh the Movie"
Smosh: The Movie received generally polarized reviews, with criticism of its writing, acting, and humor, but praise for the performances of the two leads. The film currently holds a 3.5/10 on IMDb, and has a 43% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.