Sleepwalkers is a 1992 American horror film, written by Stephen King and directed by Mick Garris.
Two Sleepwalkers - ancient shapeshifting vampires who feed on the life force of human female virgins - move into the town of Travis, Indiana to find prey.
Why It Sucks
- Although it's a horror film, the campy nature makes it not scary and pretty much impossible to take seriously.
- The mood whiplash from a relatively calm first half to the over-the-top second half is pretty jarring.
- Laughable dialogue.
- The characters act really stupid; the cops are completely useless, and the Sleepwalkers themselves, despite being on the run, do a lot of things to draw attention to themselves.
- Lots of celebrity cameos (like Mark Hamill, Tobe Hooper, John Landis, Clive Barker, Ron Perlman and even Stephen King himself) that go nowhere and are ultimately wasted.
- Bad special effects that haven't aged well:
- The morph effects in particular look really cheap.
- The attacking cats are clearly puppets.
- The film is so over-the-top and cheesy that it's funny.
- This is the first Stephen King film based on an original screenplay, rather than one of his existing stories.