Return to Sleepaway Camp
Return to Sleepaway Camp is a 2008 American direct-to-video slasher film written and directed by Robert Hiltzik. This film takes place after 1983's Sleepaway Camp, and completely ignores the events of the two previous sequels.
Camp Manabe is where kids torment each other but people soon start turning up dead.
Why It Sucks
- This film completely lacks the charm that the first Sleepaway Camp film had.
- Most of the acting in this film is cringeworthy and downright hard-to-watch.
- Alan is by far one of the most insufferable, annoying and unlikable characters in film history.
- He’s a complete and full-on manchild.
- He’s a hypocrite, as he hates getting bullied but constantly bullies other campers and counselors.
- He has little to no personality and behaves like a bratty toddler through the entire movie.
- The shirt he wears throughout the entire movie is disgusting to look at.
- He even threatened some of his fellow campers with a hairspray and lighter.
- On that topic, it doesn’t help that Alan is supposed to be the main protagonist of this movie.
- Many parts of the film are just copied and pasted from the original film.
- The CGI is terrible, especially with Weed’s death.
- An unneeded guest appearance by Isaac Hayes.
- Alan’s catchphrase “Your ass stinks.” is lame, poorly-delivered and forgettable.
- Alan also serves no purpose and contributes nothing to the film, you could take him out of the movie and it would be the same.
- Most of the characters disappear for an entire act or two:
- Alan disappears for the entire 3rd act until the finale.
- Weed's friend, Stan, is never seen again after Weed's death.
- Spaz completely disappears after TC's death.
- Jenny is randomly introduced in the third act and becomes a supporting character.
- NONE of the characters are likable and it’s unable to root for any of them.
- The opening scene and the song that follows it are cheap and ridiculous.
- The ending scene where Ricky shouts “ANGELAAAAAA!” sounds completely forced, it’s sound like a heavy metal voice with auto-tune.
- After the death of Weed, the film has 25 minutes where no one is killed. These characters are already extremely unlikable, and there is no character development built in these 25 minutes of boredom.
- The actors that played Ronnie, Ricky and Angela in the original movie reprise their roles in this film and are the only ones that give decent performances.
- The ending that reveals that the sheriff is the one behind the murders and that the sheriff is really Angela is a pretty good twist, albeit obvious.
- Some of the death scenes are pretty creative.