Red Tails is a 2012 war movie, directed by Anthony Hemingway and starring Terrence Howard and Cuba Gooding Jr.
The 332d Fighter Group (the Tuskegee Airmen), a primarily African-American fighter squadron, are called to duty in the second World War.
- As expected from a film by George Lucas, the movie is terribly written.
- Terrible acting from pretty much everyone, mostly due to the bad script.
- Cringeworthy dialogue.
- The characters are all bland, stereotypical, and in some cases, offensive.
- Excessive use of CGI, which is of questionable quality in many places.
- A lot of the maneuvers the planes make defy the laws of physics.
- It's clear no one did much research into the movie, due to the large numbers of historical liberties it takes.
- The real-life Tuskegee Airmen were well-trained and professional, not the undisciplined buffoons the movie portrays them as.
- In real-life the Tuskegee Airmen did attack a warship, but it was a smaller ship, not the battleship as portrayed in the film.
- Cheesy and unfitting soundtrack.
- Overall, the film feels very disrespectful to both the Tuskegee Airmen and the U.S. Army Air Force, based on their portrayal.
- A film about the Tuskegee Airmen would have been pretty interesting; in fact, a much-better movie, The Tuskegee Airmen, had been made in 1995 by HBO.
- The action scenes are pretty good.
- Some CGI effects are decent.
- It does have some nice cinematography, like the scenes in Italy.
- This movie can be considered a "so bad its good" movie, and some people may like it.
Reviews were mixed to negative, with a 40% critic rating and 58% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with the consensus "Despite a worthy fact-based story and obvious good intentions, Red Tails suffers from one-dimensional characters, corny dialogue, and heaps of clichés". In recent years it has gained a cult following amongst Historians and Aviation enthusiasts.
- George Lucas had started writing the movie in 1988, but it took a couple of decades before production started.
- George Lucas blamed the fact that no one wanted to distribute the film on the fact that it had a mostly-black cast.
- Cuba Gooding Jr. had starred in a previous film about the Tuskegee Airmen, the 1995 film The Tuskegee Airmen.
- Red Tails was the first movie to be released in the Auro 11.1 sound system format.
- This was the last film to be made by Lucasfilm before its acquisition by Disney in 2012, coincidentally, this was also distributed by Fox, which would later become acquired by Disney in 2019.