Red Tails is a 2012 war movie, directed by Anthony Hemingway and starring Terrence Howard and Cuba Gooding Jr.
The 332d Fighter Group (the Tuskegee Airmen), a primarily African-American fighter squadron, are called to duty in the second World War.
- As expected from a film by George Lucas, the movie is terribly written.
- Terrible acting from pretty much everyone, mostly due to the bad script.
- Cringeworthy dialogue.
- The characters are all bland, stereotypical, and in some cases, offensive.
- Excessive use of CGI, which is of questionable quality in many places.
- A lot of the maneuvers the planes make defy the laws of physics.
- It's clear no one did much research into the movie, due to the large numbers of historical liberties it takes.
- The real-life Tuskegee Airmen were well-trained and professional, not the undisciplined buffoons the movie portrays them as.
- In real-life the Tuskegee Airmen did attack a warship, but it was a smaller ship, not the battleship as portrayed in the film.
- Cheesy and unfitting soundtrack.
- Overall, the film feels very disrespectful to both the Tuskegee Airmen and the U.S. Army Air Force, based on their portrayal.
- A film about the Tuskegee Airmen would have been pretty interesting; in fact, a much-better movie, The Tuskegee Airmen, had been made in 1995 by HBO.
- Some action scenes are pretty good, such as the scene where the Tuskegee attack a military train.
- Some CGI effects are decent.
- It does have some nice cinematography, like the scenes in Italy.
Reviews were mixed to negative, with a 40% critic rating and 58% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with the consensus "Despite a worthy fact-based story and obvious good intentions, Red Tails suffers from one-dimensional characters, corny dialogue, and heaps of clichés".
- George Lucas had started writing the movie in 1988, but it took a couple of decades before production started.
- George Lucas blamed the fact that no one wanted to distribute the film on the fact that it had a mostly-black cast.
- Cuba Gooding Jr. had starred in a previous film about the Tuskegee Airmen, the 1995 film The Tuskegee Airmen.
- Red Tails was the first movie to be released in the Auro 11.1 sound system format.