Paper Towns is a 2015 romantic mystery drama produced by Fox 2000 Pictures and Temple Hill Entertainment and based off the 2008 novel of the same name by John Green. The film stars Nat Wolff, Cara Delevingne, Halston Sage, Austin Abrams and Justice Smith, screenplay by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, and directed by Jake Schreier.
Why It Sucks
- Boring plot. For a romantic mystery, it's not that very captivating.
- Pointless dialogue which doesn't amount to anything.
- Terrible acting. The main actors show little emotion or reactions as if they're bored. It's like they just do and say things because it's in the script.
- Your stereotypical "boy has a crush on the attractive girl next door and wants to find a way for her to love him" plot.
- The whole plot revolving around Margo's disappearance, which the film heavily promotes itself around, doesn't even happen till half an hour into the film.
- Margo and Quentin for the first half hour just go around vandalizing and breaking and entering to take revenge on the classmates that only made her feel bad, with no repercussions or caught by the police.
- Quentin's friends, Ben and Radar, don't really seem to care about Quentin looking for Margo and mostly whine throughout the film. They only want to go on the road trip later because the girls they like want to come along too. They don't add much else to the plot and could easily just not be there.
- One of the clues left by Margo is an edit on a dictionary wiki site which she crudely edited in. If she added it in at 8:30am in the morning and by the time they found it which was late at night, in reality it would've been soon reverted by a moderator on the site for vandalism making the mystery trail end there as well as the film itself.
- Margo says the cryptic clues she left behind weren't so Quentin could find her but to let him know she was okay. If that was made more clear, then we wouldn't have this long and boring road trip.
- Margo states that she talks to her sister every day, which meant that if her sister just told Quentin where she was this whole time then he wouldn't need to go on this pointless scavenger hunt.
- Everything Wrong With Paper Towns In 15 Minutes Or Less - CinemaSins