Pan is a 2015 American fantasy film directed by Joe Wright and written by Jason Fuchs. The film serves as a prequel to Peter and Wendy from Scottish author J. M. Barrie, which was first staged in 1904, and focuses on an alternative origin story for Peter Pan and Captain Hook. It stars Hugh Jackman as a fictionalized version of Blackbeard, Garrett Hedlund as Hook, Rooney Mara as Tiger Lily, and Levi Miller as the title character.
Living a bleak existence at a London orphanage, 12-year-old Peter (Levi Miller) finds himself whisked away to the fantastical world of Neverland. Adventure awaits as he meets new friend James Hook (Garrett Hedlund) and the warrior Tiger Lily (Rooney Mara). They must band together to save Neverland from the ruthless pirate Blackbeard (Hugh Jackman). Along the way, the rebellious and mischievous boy discovers his true destiny, becoming the hero forever known as Peter Pan.
Why It Sucks
- It wasn't screened for critics, which is always a major red flag
- The production budget was troubled, and it explains why it performed so badly.
- It was released when The Martian and The Walk were overshadowed, which didn't help with the box office numbers.
- Rooney Mara is seriously miscast as Tiger Lily.
- Extremely poor grasp of the source material.
- The plot is generic.
- Lame action that is heavily reliant on CGI, such as Peter Pan floating or the effects on the never bird.
- Blackbeard is a predictable and minor villain.
- Some of the acting is bad, Hugh Jackman is over the top and Garret Hedlund has a terrible accent.
- Lots of stuff that doesn't make sense, (eg. how come Blackbeard can't find the Neverland natives when his map shows tribal land and why are the Neverland natives so diverse?)
- Pointless subplot between James Hook and Tiger Lily.
- Once the pirates approach the mines, everybody starts singing Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit, which is annoying and did not exist during that time period.
- The humor is weak.
- The soundtrack is decent by John Powell.
- Solid acting from most of the cast. Levi Miller tries his best as his role of Peter Pan.
- Some good action scenes.
Pan received generally negative reviews from critics and audiences, with criticism calling the plot formulaic and the action heavily-reliant on CGI, as well as the casting of white actress Rooney Mara as American Indian character Tiger Lily. However, some praised its action sequences, John Powell’s score and the performances of Jackman, Hedlund, and Miller. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 27% based on 196 reviews and an average rating of 4.56/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Pan finds a few bursts of magic in its prequel treatment of classic characters, though not enough to offset the rushed plot and shrill, CGI-fueled action.". On Metacritic, the film has a score of 36 out of 100 based on 35 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- Rooney Mara disowned playing her role of Tiger Lilly in a February 2016 interview.