Norbit is a 2007 American romantic comedy film, directed by Brian Robbins, and co written, co produced, and starring Eddie Murphy. The film co stars Thandie Newton, Terry Crews, Cuba Gooding Jr., Eddie Griffin, Katt Williams, Marlon Wayans, and Charlie Murphy. It was released by DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures on February 9, 2007.
The film was negatively received by critics and earned Murphy three Golden Raspberry Awards, out of the film's eight total nominations. However, it was a commercial success and received a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling.
Mild-mannered Norbit (Eddie Murphy) has always had it rough, since the day he was left abandoned at a combination Chinese restaurant and orphanage. Recently forced to marry the shrewish glutton Rasputia, he is at wit's end. Then his childhood sweetheart, Kate (Thandie Newton), moves back to town, and he tries to figure out a way back to his true love.
Why It Sucks
- Bizarre storyline.
- This movie is filled with harsh stereotypes, ranging from fat people, like Rasputia, being ugly and cruel and having bad hygiene.
- The jokes are extremely tasteless and offensive.
- All of the characters are unlikable, with Norbit and Kate pretty much being the only likable characters in the entire film.
- Signs of racism. Eddie Murphy also plays Hangten Wong, his adoptive Asian father who likes to hunt whales.
- Rasputia is VERY unlikable. She abuses Norbit, gets angry when he dates another girl but has sex with her dance teacher, hires her brothers to turn the orphanage into a strip club, maims a dog for eyeballing her and laughs about it, and claims to be Christian but rejects every law.
- Wasted the talents of Eddie Murphy, Thandie Newton, Terry Crews, Cuba Gooding Jr., Eddie Griffin, Marlon Wayans, and Kristen Schaal.
- Raspuita also falls on a kid at the water park when she went on the slide.
- Some funny moments here and there.
- The acting is still passable.
- It's pretty interesting to see Eddie Murphy play three different characters and see them all at the same screen at times.