Myra Breckinridge is a 1970 comedy film based on the 1968 novel of the same name by Gore Vidal. The film was directed by Michael Sarne and starred Raquel Welch as the titular character, along with John Huston, Rex Reed, Mae West, Roger C. Carmel, Roger Herren, Farrah Fawcett, and Tom Selleck in his film debut.
Unlike the book, the film was panned by critics and is considered to be one of the worst films of all time.
A gay man named Myron Breckinridge gets a sex change and goes to Hollywood under the name Myra Breckinridge to turn it upside down.
Why it sucks
- Boring, unfunny and nonsensical.
- Bizarre use of stock footage.
- Bad acting.
- Mae West used as a bombshell even if she was way past her hayday.
- The director spent several days filming a table of food which ended being seen only for a few seconds and it serves no purpose so he wasted a lot of film.
- There's an infamous scene where Myra anally rapes a bound man while clips from classic movies play. The movie is trying to pass this scene off as funny, but it's just flat out horrifying.
- Offensive towards LGBT people.
- Raquel Welch (the voice actor of Myra Breckinridge) herself negatively criticized the movie.
- Myra Breckinridge (With the Cinema Snob) - Channel Awesome