Miss Cast Away and the Island Girls
Miss Cast Away and the Island Girls (also known as Miss Cast Away and Silly Movie 2) is a parody film written and directed by Bryan Michael Stoller. It was released in 2004 at the WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival then was shown on television in Russia and released in the United States on DVD the following year. It features Michael Jackson in his final scripted film performance before his death in 2009. It now gained a cult following when Michael Jackson appeared in the movie.
While traveling with a team of misses for the dispute of the Miss Galaxy, the airplane piloted by Maximus Powers (Eric Roberts) and Mike Saunders (Charlie Schlatter) crashes in an isolated, where lays Noah's Ark protected by the Jurassic Pork. While the group fight to survive, alien apes plot to use the ark to destroy the human race and dominate planet Earth.
Why It Got Casted Away
- The plot was very silly, unoriginal and nonsensical, even for a parody film.
- There are too much spoofs and pop culture references such as "Lost", "Jurassic Park", "The Sixth Sense", "Titanic", "Planet of the Apes", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Men in Black", "The Perfect Storm", "Austin Powers", "Jaws", "Mission: Impossible", "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", "Star Wars", "Scream, "Gilligan's Island" and "The Incredible Hulk".
- It also contained characters from these franchises, mainly Austin Powers, which would be copyright infringement if they don't give credit to the original companies.
- Thanks to the spoofs, the plot is confusing to know what is going on.
- The CGI effects are too primitive and poor for early 2000s standards.
- Famous actors such as Eric Roberts, Pat Morita and Bernie Kopell were given weak roles.
- Proper green screens weren't used for the movie.
- False advertising for 2 reasons:
- Michael Jackson appears in the DVD cover, but his movie appearance was just two short cameos and nothing else, which is one of the worst missed opportunities you can ever do to a film if you advertise Michael Jackson being cast.
- It was re-released in 2008 as Silly Movie 2, but no prequel has ever been made, which makes it pointless.
- U2-ME2 is a blatant ripoff of R2-D2 from Star Wars.
- There are some inappropriate moments for a PG-rated film.
- Jurassic Pork is an unnecessary attempt in the movie and looks ugly.
- The traditional animation in the Noah's Ark short from the movie looks very similar to South Park, which is an adult animated show that is not kid or family-friendly.
- It was pretty interesting and surprising to know that Michael Jackson appeared in the movie, which he might be the best part of the entire film. It was even shot at Neverland Ranch, Michael Jackson's home at that time.
- Most of the soundtrack is catchy.
Miss Cast Away and the Island Girls received mostly negative reviews. It would have hit the IMDb Bottom 100, but it was a TV movie according to the website.
- It was originally going to be released in theaters in the summer of 2004, but Jackson's legal problems during that time made the movie's distributors wary of releasing the movie.
- Charlie Schlatter, one of the cast members have appeared on the 1990 TV series, Ferris Bueller.