Miracle in Toyland
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Miracle in Toyland is a 2000 animated film made by Golden Films and released by GoodTimes Entertainment.
Jesse Justice, a lonely boy, learns to care about others over himself after meeting a bunch of toys in the titular Toyland.
Why It's not a Miracle
- Although we're supposed to sympathize with Jesse, he is extremely unlikable, being a whiny and hyper-competitive jerk. His character development is also incredibly rushed and forced.
- Some things (like toys dying) are overly dark for a children's film and it is considered to be a rip off of Disney's Toy Story.
- Misleading title: What was the point when Toyland is "miracle", but it's just plain bland?
- Cliched premise of a selfish individual learning to care about others.
- Generic and laughable names for the toy characters like Toy Woman, Elf Girl, and Super Duper Guy. Yes, those are the actual names of the characters'.
- Low-quality art and animation.
- The snow effects are extremely distracting.
- Several perspective shots and animation layers are messed up.
- Terrible scene continuity. The characters appear to teleport around the place due to the reuse of backgrounds.
- The backgrounds frequently either make no sense or are out of proportion compared to the characters.
- Scenes and characters that are brought up are just dropped and never mentioned again.
- The relationship between Jesse and his cousin Gabriella has some unintentional incestuous undertones.
- Speaking of incestuous undertones, the Elf Girl is drawn in a creepy, sexual way. There's even a scene where her panties are showned for a brief second, which is inappropriate for a children's movie (shown in Phelous's review here).
- Unfitting soundtrack.
- Terrible voice acting, even from voice actors such as Cam Clarke , Debi Derryberry, Daran Norris and Dionne Quan.
- Despite the bad voice acting, it had a lot of great actors like Cam Clarke.
- Jesse does redeem himself in the end in spite of his character development being rushed.