Just Go With It
Just Go With It is a 2011 American comedy film directed by Dennis Dugan, co-written by Alan Loeb and Timothy Dowling, and produced by Jack Giarraputo, Heather Parry, and Adam Sandler, who also starred in the film alongside co-stars Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman, Nick Swardson, and Brooklyn Decker. The film is a loose remake of the 1969 film Cactus Flower, which was adapted from an earlier Broadway stage play written by Abe Burrows.
On a weekend trip to Hawaii, plastic surgeon Danny Maccabee convinces his loyal assistant Katherine Murphy to pose as his soon-to-be-divorced wife in order to cover up a careless lie to his much younger girlfriend.
Why It Sucks
- The plot is stretched far too thinly, with padding to fill out the two-hour run-time.
- Every SINGLE character in the movie are portrayed as idiots, which brings the great and Late Roger Ebert to say "Everyone's too stupid to be in a movie".
- Particulary with Brooklyn Decker's character: Palmer. She's not a cliché dumb blonde but she's very naive at some moments, per instance: in the scenes where Danny talks her about his wife and children (and you can obviously tell he's lying) she belives him right away.
- Danny is also very stupid, the moments where Palmer questions him about his wedding ring or his apparent children, he takes too long to answer when he can give her simple answers such as that the ring is not his but a friend's or that his children are actually of the lover of his "wife's" and that's why he's divorcing her.
- Nick Swardson plays a complete idiot like in any other Happy Madison movie.
- Nicole Kidman, a usually very talented actress, plays probably the MOST ANNOYING AND IRRITATING character in an Adam Sandler comedy.
- The scene where Danny ends his own chain of the lie is done completely off-screen when it was important to the story.
- Brooklyn Decker and Jennifer Anniston are somewhat sexualized in some scenes
- Bad and cringey comedy all-around.
- Gratuitous and stupid cameos by either Sandler's friends or other, usually-talented actors.
- Heavy product placement of Pizza Hut, Pepsi, etc..
- Jennifer Aniston is really down to Earth in her performance and has good chemistry with Adam Sandler.
- Brooklyn Decker's character is actually pretty cute and likeable
- The Rock-afire Explosion's cameo is very nice.
Awards and Nominations
Just Go With It would win two Golden Raspberry Awards alongside Jack and Jill with Worst Actor for Adam Sandler, and Worst Director for Denis Dugan, as well as be nominated for Worst Screen Couple for Sandler, Brooklyn Decker, and Jennifer Aniston, Worst Supporting Actor for Nick Swardson, and Worst Supporting Actress for Nicole Kidman.
- The working titles for this film was Holiday in Hawaii and Pretend Wife.