Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party
Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party is a 2016 American political propaganda "documentary" film about presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and an examination of the history of the Democratic Party, written and directed by Dinesh D'Souza and Bruce Schooley The film had a limited release on July 15, 2016, before a wide release on July 22, 2016, and accompanies a book by D'Souza by the same name.
The plot follows Dinesh D'Souza as he tells the secret history of Hillary Clinton and the Democrats.
Why It Sucks
- Ironically, Hillary Clinton is barely featured in the film, only being in the title and very end of the final act of the movie, thus counted as misleading. When she's introduced, the film can't decide whether it wants to attack Clinton specifically or the Democratic Party in general, resulting in a completely muddled message.
- It is supposed to be a documentary, but it's mostly a propaganda piece that doesn't care to show actual history and only against the Democratic Party itself, not Clinton.
- Much of the "secret history" notes are actually well-known facts by many historians and watchers alike (such as the Democrats being involved with the creation of the Ku Klux Klan), only with the biased and nonsensical approach that "if the Democrats started, they're still involved with it".
- The problem with this movie's attack on the Democrats is that many of these acts that D'Souza pins on them he conflates them poorly with the 21st Century Democrats even though both present day and the 19th-20th Democrats were completely different and separate organizations from each other.
- For an attack piece against the Democrats, it doesn't exactly flatter the Republicans.
- Despite being a documentary, it has numerous inaccuracies and terrible acting.
- Some scenes, such as the DNC headquarters and Hillary's campaign center locations, are clearly sound stages with paid actors as Accountant and Campaign staff managers, thus explaining the lack of security for both locations.
- Bizarre and nonsensical re-enactments. For example, there is a scene where a ghostly KKK knight riding a horse leaps out of a projector screen and the people watching the movie react to their presence.
- Like its predecessor 2016: Obama's America and sequel Death of a Nation, it was released during an election year in an attempt to influence the election's outcome.
- D'Souza tries to paint himself as a persecuted opponent whose arrest was propelled by the Democrats when his previous movies barely made an impact and he has only himself to blame for his crime. He then goes on to show footage that would display him committing even more crimes (fraud and trespassing) while gaining access to DNC headquarters, if it were actually real instead of staged.
- As mentioned above, D'Souza called the documentary's nomination and wins at the Golden Raspberry Awards "petty revenge" for Trump winning the 2016 presidential election showing that he cannot take criticism.
Although the film was a box office success, critics panned the film. It has a score of 4% of Rotten Tomatoes and a 2 out of 100 on Metacritic, making it one of the worst documentaries of all time.
It was nominated for five Golden Raspberry Awards, and won four including Worst Picture (a first for a documentary film), and Worst Director and Worst Actor for D'Souza himself. D'Souza reacted to the nominations by calling them "petty revenge" for Donald Trump's election.