Hedgehogs, also known in some countries as Bobby the Hedgehog, is a 2016 animated comedy film written and directed by Jianming Huang, with an additional writing credit from Xiaoyu Wu.
The prideful and arrogant Bobby is the strongest hedgehog as well as the exception and rebellion in the whole hedgehog tribe. However, during his fight with "Tie Tui", he accidentally gets hurt, loses his memory and starts his mysterious journey.
Why It Sucks
- The story is all over the place. At first, it seems like a "race to the top" story, but then it suddenly becomes an amnesia story, before finally winding up as a generic "save the rec center" plot.
- One of the plot devices of the movie is called a 'yummy fruit', which is one of, if not, the most uninspired name for an exotic fruit they could think of.
- While the animation is alright, the hedgehogs' designs are terrible. In fact, they're almost comparable to the original design for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, teeth and all.
- The movie reuses ideas done in other, better movies. For example, the main villain, ThinkMan, is just an evil Iron Man, the Hazmat minions are copied from Free Birds, and there's even one scene that feels like it was ripped directly out of Toy Story 2.
- The voice acting is particularly weak. Even Ian Hecox, who can be pretty good even when given bad material, gives off a bad performance.
- Bobby can come off as incredibly unlikable. Not only that, but some can draw immediate comparisons to Sonic the Hedgehog.
- The action scenes are overly edited, making it hard to focus on what's going on.
- At one point, Bobby tries to end the conflict by pointing at Maddox and saying "Hey...stop.", and Anthony Padilla's delivery of this line is hilariously bad.
- There is one uncomfortable scene where Bobby carries Rose around, but her body goes limp and it just ends up looking like Bobby is throwing around her dead body.
- Some plot points don't even make a lick of sense, such as Bobby making fake wings that actually work, and Hubert confusing him for a pigeon.
- All of the characters are generic tropes; Bobby is the typical 'arrogant protagonist that has to learn to be selfless', ThinkMan is just the basic villain stereotype whose only motivation is money, and Rose can only be defined as 'the girl'...and that's it.
- The movie often stops to show some random demonic visions, which is never explained.
- False advertising: The posters paint Rose as a main character in the likes of Bobby and Hubert, but she is not introduced until halfway through the movie, and even then she's only a supporting character. There is also a small random hedgehog on the cover that does nothing important or special throughout the film.
- Speaking of Sonic the Hedgehog, the movie feels like it is stealing elements from the Sonic the Hedgehog games here and there. For example:
- Bobby does a spin dash and has blue spikes similar to Sonic.
- Rose is very similar to Amy Rose, as they share the name "Rose", serve as love interests and have pink fur.
- Tie Tui is very similar to Shadow the Hedgehog, as they both serve as rivals of both main protagonists, have black and white fur, act very edgy and later become friends in the end.
- The main villain, ThinkMan, is a knock-off of Dr. Eggman, since both characters have an association with the color red, use machines in their evil schemes and even try to kill the main protagonist, who is a hedgehog.
- Overall, it killed and ended Smosh's film career, due to Padilla's departure and this film was also got a box-office bomb as well.
- Aside from the designs of the hedgehogs, the rest of the animation is okay.
- Hubert is a likable character, even in the scene where he is telling Bobby how selfish he was.
- As stated before, Bobby's "Hey...stop.", line, while it may be bad, it's still gives a hilarious "so bad, it's good" vibe. It later became a meme thanks to Saberspark during his review.
- Some lines can be unintentionally hilarious, such as “Hey! Am I a stupid hedgehog?”.