Getaway is a 2013 action thriller movie, directed by Courtney Solomon and starring Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez in the lead roles.
Though he used to race cars for a living, Brent Magna (Ethan Hawke) is now pitted against the clock in the most important race of his life; an unseen criminal (Jon Voight) has kidnapped Brent's wife, and to get her back, he must follow the man's instructions to the letter. Brent commandeers the ultimate muscle car -- a custom Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake -- and, with a tech-savvy young passenger (Selena Gomez), sets out on a high-speed chase to rescue his beloved.
Why We'd Make a Getaway From This Movie
- The plot is thin and nonsensical, mainly serving as a backdrop to the action.
- The characters are also pretty flat and uninteresting, again because they're a backdrop to the action.
- The movie rips off many elements from other films: the premise of Saw, Locke, Speed and Taken, and the car chases from Grand Theft Auto and Fast and Furious and implements them poorly.
- There are too many action scenes thrown at you in a short amount of time, which can get exhausting.
- As a result, the movie gets pretty dull and repetitive after a while.
- The movie looks like it was shot with a cheap webcam, as everything looks washed-out and blurry.
- Terrible editing: The jitter cam is nauseating, and the constant fast cuts are annoying and make it hard to tell what's going on.
- Terribly-written dialogue with an excessive amount of swearing.
- Selena Gomez's character is highly annoying, constantly bickering and acting like a bitch.
- There are quite a few continuity errors and plot holes; for instance, despite a significant plot point being a blackout, the city's lights are still clearly on for the rest of the movie, despite the characters acting like the power's out.
- Stupid ending: The movie acts like it's a shock which the villain is, but it isn't because we already know what he looks like.
- Ethan Hawke’s performance is decent.
- The action in the movie was done entirely with practical effects, so no crappy CGI.
- It is one of Selena Gomez’s first adult-oriented films, showing her play against type.
The movie received universally negative reviews, with a 3% critic rating and a 35% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 3% of 142 critics gave the film a positive review, with an average rating of 2.73/10. The site's critical consensus states: "Monotonously fast-paced to the point of exhaustion, Getaway offers a reminder of the dangers in attempting to speed past coherent editing, character development, sensible dialogue, and an interesting plot.". On Metacritic the film has a weighted average score of 22 out of 100, based on 34 critics indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "C+" on an A+ to F scale. Criticism focused on the poor cinematography and editing and lack of interesting plot or characters. At the 2014 Golden Raspberry Awards, Selena Gomez was nominated for Worst Actress.
- The movie was largely shot in Bulgaria.
- Over 130 cars were wrecked in the making of the movie, including 13 Shelby Mustangs.
- The Kid’s profane dialogue has been used for Mavis Dracula memes.