Get a Clue! (1997)
Get a Clue! is a 1997 drama/family movie based on the 1978 novel The Westing Game directed by Terence H. Winkless.
The tenants of the Sunset Towers must compete to learn who killed an eccentric millionaire and win a $20 million inheritance.
Why It Sucks
- Very, VERY poor grasp of subject material.
- Samuel W. Westing, the man who even started the Westing Game, is called Samuel H. Westing.
- Chris is obsessed with computers, even though in the book he’s a huge birdwatcher.
- Some characters don’t even exist, such as Flora and Theo.
- Angela is engaged to Ed Plum, even though Ed had a small role in the book.
- Grace actually cares for Turtle, though in the book Grace completely neglected Turtle.
- In the book, Violet killed herself by drowning, which is what ‘Purple Waves’ means, while in the movie, she jumped off a building.
- Chris’ stutters are very obviously fake, sounding more like someone trying to speak in a foreign language.
- The movie goes under two names, Get A Clue! and The Westing Game, which, when buying the DVD, can trick people into thinking they’re two different movies.
- Ellen Raskin, the writer of The Westing Game, was dead when this movie was made, and so she didn’t have any influence on it.