Garuda Superhero is a 2015 superhero film directed by X-Jo. It was advertised and hyped as the first CGI movie made in Indonesia.
Upon release the movie failed to live up to the hype and was met with largely negative reception from critics and viewers alike. The Jakarta Post said that the movie is lazy and unoriginal and "[rehashes] tropes, with less-than-exciting results".
MCA Gatotkaca, an anti-asteroid nuclear missile, has been stolen by a terrorist group led by Durja King (Slamet Rahardjo), who intends to use the weapon against the world. Only Bara (Rizal Idrus), the titular superhero, stands in the way of his evil plans.
Why It Sucks
- For starters, the teaser trailer runs for over 4 minutes long, which is considerably too long for trailer standards.
- Relies too much on CGI effects and digital backlots that, to say the least, are horrendous.
- Absolute lack of originality. The movie rips off not only other (and countless) Hollywood movies or TV shows, but also video games, TV commercials, and even OPENING LOGOS!
- Terrible acting save for Slamet Rahardjo, who himself is a veteran actor.
- Ludicrous product placement, involving (no pun intended) Garuda peanut snacks.
- A weak story with sloppy and inconsistent writing.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- It is the very first CGI movie made in Indonesia.