Friend Request (released overseas as Unfriend) is a 2016 English-language German supernatural psychological horror drama film. It is loosely based on the novel of the same name by Laura Marshall.
Why It Sucks
- The entire film is basically the same thing as Unfriended only except it doesn't focus only a computer screen. Even the original title is literally called "Unfriend."
- Laura Woodson is extremely unlikable. She was responsible for everything that happened in this film, all because she bullied Marina Mells for not inviting her to her birthday dinner, as well as calling her a "freak," which lead her to commiting suicide, and having her ghost haunting her and her friends.
- Literally everything that happened in this movie leads to something extremely ridiculous. One of the reasons why Marina killed herself is because she was lonely, and she wanted to make Laura "lonely" after being rejected and (ironically) unfriended. After succeeding, Laura becomes "Lau Ra" by wearing Marina's clothes, as well as having the same skin on her laptop, and having 0 friends on Facebook. So basically, Marina possessed Laura.
- Marina can somewhat hack into Facebook, disabling users to delete their account, posts, or even log out, and can also make disturbing posts of Laura's friends being murdered.
- The teenagers act extremely weird and oddball, another common issue with teenager films.
- Loads of overused, tedious, and lame jumpscares. Literally the first scene with Laura has her watching a cat video with a forced-in jumpscare in it.
- The death scenes are extremely unoriginal. The majority of them are just suicides, with some being murdered by wasps.
- Marina wasn't that bad to begin with. Sure, she was a bit creepy, but she had a terrible life, and she deserves to have a friend, and Laura deserved everything (well, not the fact that her friends get killed) that happened in this movie.
- For some reason, we are led to the fact that Kobe is one of the villains of the movie now, all because if Laura is dead, she won't be lonely, which makes no sense.
- If Laura were to just invite Marina into her birthday dinner, none of this would've ever happened.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The animated sequences are well-animated.
Friend Request was panned by both critics and audiences alike, with a 17% critic score and 28% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, a 5.3 on IMDb, and a 31 on Metacritic, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews."