Fantastic Four (2005)
Fantastic Four (stylized as Fantastic 4) is a 2005 American-German superhero film based on the Marvel Comics team of the same name, directed by Tim Story and released by 20th Century Fox. The film stars Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans, Michael Chiklis, Julian McMahon and Kerry Washington. The film received mixed-to-negative reviews but was a box office success earning $330.6 million on a $100 million budget.
Reed Richards persuades his arrogant former classmate, Victor von Doom, to fund his experiments with cosmic energy. On von Doom's space station, the crew including astronaut Ben Grimm, researcher Sue Storm and pilot Johnny Storm are exposed to a mysterious cosmic storm that bestows superpowers upon them. As they cope with their transformations, von Doom vows his revenge on them.
- There's absolutely no Fantastic Four action whatsoever; most of the movie is exposition and the characters coping with their powers.
- Jessica Alba and Kerry Washington have extremely horrible portrayals as Sue Storm/Invisible Woman and Alicia Masters respectively.
- Most of the main characters do not have the same personalities as they did in the comics.
- Johnny Storm is an unlikable douche for most of the movie. He's completely immature, he doesn't follow certain orders and he has little to no character development whatsoever.
- Victor Von Doom is a horrible villain; he doesn't threaten any of the Fantastic Four team, and he doesn't turn into Dr. Doom until the near-end of the film.
- Really bad acting, save for Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm/The Thing.
- How did Ben's wife Debby rush to the Brooklyn Bridge just to dump Ben after he saved the firefighters from falling to their deaths?
- Some scenes are very unnecessary and serve as a running gag, like Sue stripping naked in public in order to save Ben and again in order to run away from a crowd of fans.
- The CGI and special effects are extremely cartoonish and terrible.
- Product placements including Pepsi, ESPN, X Games, XBOX, BTSW, Dell, Samsung, Burger King, and Brisk.
- The grasp of the source material is fair, especially compared to the later 2015 reboot.
- The Thing's makeup, costume, as well as his acting is impressive.
- Decent soundtrack.
- The final battle is somewhat awesome.
- Jessica Alba met her future husband Cash Warren while filming.
- A few good funny moments here and there.
- The film produced quite some memorable internet memes, which got the approval of both Julian McMahon and Tim Story.
- Paul Walker was originally considered for the role of Johnny Storm.
- Hugh Jackman, George Clooney, and Brendan Fraser were all considered for the role of Reed Richards.
- Ali Larter, Julia Stiles, Kate Bosworth, Rachel McAdams, Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Banks, KaDee Strickland, and Renée Zellweger were all considered for the role of Sue Storm.
- James Gandolfini was considered for the role of Ben Grimm.
- Tim Robbins was considered for the role of Doctor Doom.
- Nostalgia Critic - Fantastic Four (2005)
Nostalgia Critic's review
- Everything Wrong With Fantastic Four In 15 Minutes Or Less
CinemaSins look at Fantastic Four (2005)
- Honest Trailers - Fantastic Four (2005)
Honest Trailers' Fantastic Four (2005)