Dumb & Dumber To
Dumb and Dumber To is a 2014 American comedy film co-written and directed by Peter Farrelly and Bobby Farrelly. It is the third film in the Dumb and Dumber film series and the 2014 sequel to the 1994 hit film Dumb and Dumber. The film stars Jim Carrey as Lloyd Christmas and Jeff Daniels as Harry Dunn from the first film. It was released on November 14, 2014, by Universal Pictures.
In need of a new kidney and having learned that he has a long-lost daughter, dimwit Harry Dunne (Jeff Daniels) snaps his equally cretinous pal, Lloyd Christmas (Jim Carrey), out of an apparent fugue state to accompany him on a journey to find her. The witless wonders criss-cross the country using whatever mode of transportation they can find, ultimately arriving at the one place on Earth where they least belong: a summit of the world's most brilliant minds.
- Releasing the film 20 years after the first film is too late for a sequel. As a result, repeating the same schtick with 50-year olds seems forced (Jim Carrey was 52 and Jeff Daniels was 59).
- The plot from the first film is rehashed.
- Harry and Lloyd act flat throughout the film.
- Bill Murray is wasted in a cameo where he doesn't even reveal his face.
- Unfunny jokes, which primarily consist of fart jokes (including a scene where Butthole farts out feathers), sexist jokes, racist jokes, etc.
- The crude humor is more crude than the first film, including much more toilet humor and a joke making fun of people with Aspergers.
- The leads' stupidity is so exaggerated it leads to contrieved situations.
- Out-dated pop-culture references.
- Kathleen Turner looks bored out of her mind (similar to her performance in Baby Geniuses).
- Poor green screen effects during the car ride scene.
- Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels still give good performances.
- Seeing the blind neighbor Billy from 4B return is amusing.
- Sometimes the comedy does work, in particular when Rob Riggle's character reveals himself out of disguise.
- The most annoying sound in the world joke is actually funny and not a rehash from the first film.
- Rachel Melvin's Penny is hilarious, a character whose idiocy is comparable to Harry and Lloyd.
- The Fireworks Scene is pretty funny.
- Decent soundtrack by Empire of the Sun.
Dumb and Dumber To was met with primarily negative reviews from critics and audiences. The film currently holds a 30% "rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes with a critic consensus that reads "Dumb and Dumber To does have its moments, but not enough of them -- and the Farrelly brothers' brand of humor is nowhere near as refreshingly transgressive as it once seemed.". On Metacritic, the film has a score of 36 out of 100, based on 36 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences surveyed by CinemaScore gave the film a grade B- on scale of A to F.
Dumb and Dumber To opened up at #1 on its opening weekend of November 14, 2014 grossing $36,111,775 domestically. The total domestic gross was $86,208,010. In overseas box office, it grossed $83,629,000. Overall, the film made $169,837,010 against its $50 million budget, becoming the box office success.