Donkey Xote (known as Donkey X in North America) is a 2007 Spanish-Italian CGI adventure/romance/action/comedy film directed by José Pozo and distributed and produced by Filmax and Lumiq Studios. The film is loosely based on the Spanish novel Don Quixote; this is notable because the title is a pun on it. The film was released theatrically in 2007, but later shown at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival five years later. Despite this and even having its own Europe-exclusive video game published by Virgin Play, the film was not well-received, but was somewhat successful at the box office making $18,000,000 on a €13,000,000 budget.
The film begins with a narration of the story as told by Cervantes, but the narrator is interrupted by the donkey Rucio who insists on telling the "true" story of the adventure: Don Quixote was not crazy, but in fact an intelligent and passionate person. In Rucio's re-telling of his adventure with Don Quixote and his squire, Sancho Panza, we learn that Rucio wishes he were Quixote's horse, and that the horse, Rocinante, hates leaving his stable.
As it develops, Dulcinea has a difficult time choosing between the knight and his wealthy sidekick. The rivalry between Quixote and Panza leads the two on a journey across Spain to Barcelona as they both vie for the beautiful woman's affections. To defend his honor among the imposters, the real Quixote must duel and win against the Knight of the Moon in order to learn the true identity of Dulcinea.
Why It Sucks
- The main character, Rucio, looks somewhat similar to Donkey from Shrek.
- While that just might be a coincidence, in the beginning of the film, Rucio exclaims "The only talking donkey I know is a friend of mine who hangs out with some green ogre." In other words, he mentioned Shrek.
- Because of this, the poster even says "From the producers who saw Shrek".
- Annoying and surly characters.
- Misleading title: While Rucio is the main character of this film and gets a fair amount of screen time, the movie mainly focuses on Don, making Rucio rather a supporting character.
- Terrible voice acting and dubbing.
- The animation ranges from passable to really mediocre.
- Broken plot that disrespects the source material in every way possible.
- There are really unfunny jokes that mainly consist of fart jokes or couch gags.
- Lame action scenes.
- Besides Rucio, they also included a lion that looked like Scar from The Lion King and the villain that has the same appearance as Syndrome from The Incredibles.
- There's an inappropriate and gross scene where Rocinante urinates on a bush only for the chicken character to accidentally fall into the puddle of said urine.
- The infamous scene where Rocinante falls for a transsexual horse.
- Clever title pun.
- The background scenery is actually really nice to look at, especially for 2007 standards.
- The only redeeming and nice characters are Don and Sancho.