Crossroads is a 2002 comedy-drama film starring Britney Spears in her first and only major motion picture. The film co-stars Zoe Saldana, Dan Aykroyd and Taryn Manning.
Lucy (played by Britney Spears) and her friends, Kit (played by Zoe Saldana) and Mimi (played by Taryn Manning) go on a road trip.
Why It Sucks
- Extremely weak story.
- A majority of the characters come off as dull.
- A bunch of scenes go nowhere.
- Pointless cameo by Dan Aykroyd.
- Other pointless characters that serve no purpose, especially the boyfriend.
- A lot of the humor does not work out and it comes off as awkward.
- Product placement for Herbal Essence Shampoo and Pepsi. (Which Britney was the spokesperson for at that time).
- The songs that Britney sings are pretty good, especially I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman.
- The three main characters are generally nice to one another and have pretty good chemistry with one another.
- People considered it to be better than Glitter.
The film was released on February 15, 2002 with mostly negative reviews from critics and audiences alike. It currently holds a 14% "rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes with an average of 4 out of 10 and a critic consensus that reads: "A cliched and silly pop star vanity project, Crossroads is strictly for Britney fans only." Roger Ebert stated in his review of the film, "I went to Crossroads expecting a glitzy bimbofest and got the bimbos but not the fest." Co-critic Richard Roeper stated in his review of the film, "She's not yet an actress, not quite a singer..."
The film opened up at #2 on its opening weekend with a domestic gross of $14,527,187. The film would later make a total domestic gross of $37,191,304. In foreign sales, it made $23,949,726. Overall, Crossroads made $61,141,030 against its $12 million budget making it a box office hit.
Awards and nominations
The film was nominated for 6 Golden Raspberry Awards including Worst Picture, but lost to Swept Away. The film won only two Awards, one for Britney Spears as Worst Actress (which tied with Madonna in Swept Away). and it won an award for "I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman" as Worst Song.