Cop and a Half: New Recruit
Cop and a Half: New Recruit is a 2017 made-for-television sequel to the 1993 semi-popular crime comedy film Cop & 1/2 and stars Lou Diamond Phillips as Detective Simmons and Lulu Wilson as Karina Folely.
Karina Foley (Lulu Wilson), a little girl who’s crazy about law enforcement wants to become a police officer. Detective Simmons (Lou Diamond Phillips) isn’t really interested in having her as a partner. That is until both decide to join forces and bring down a criminal at large.
- Poorly written story.
- Pointless cameo by Wallace Shawn as the principal.
- The humor is null in void.
- Lack of charm that the original film had despite the many flaws that were in the original.
- The film uses the same tag line the first film had - "One kid’s fantasy, one cop’s nightmare."
- None of the stars from the first one appear in this film.
- Our main child protagonist is arguably more annoying than Devon Butler, the child protagonist in the first film.
- Pointless opening narration by Karina.
- Unfunny quotes (e.g. Principal Miller stating that he hates the sound of his own voice.)
- Detective Simmons gets fired despite Karina being helpful.
- Weird ending.
- The subplot about Karina's father's baton feels very tacked-on.
- The dialogue gets very cut-and-paste: "The laser zapped my arms!" "We're not so different, you and I".
- At points, the film seems to be trying too hard to be 'modern', for example, the whole plot revolving around drones.
- The film isn't a rehash of the first film.
- The idea of having an evil cop in the film was pretty creative, which wasn’t shown in the first film.
- Karina isn't as rude as Devon is.
- Simmons is a cool cop.
- The drones were interesting tactics that the new villain used.
- Karina's actress, Lulu Wilson, would later go on to star in Annabelle Creation.
- Cop and A Half New Recruit - Trailer - Ownt it on DVD 8 1