Clash of the Titans (2010)
Clash of the Titans is a 2010 fantasy film, which is a remake of the 1981 film of the same name, both of which are loose retellings of the Greek legend of Perseus. The film stars Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Alexa Davalos, Natalia Vodianova, Gemma Arterton, Ralph Fiennes and Mads Mikkelsen.
Perseus (Sam Worthington), the son of Zeus (Liam Neeson), is caught in a war between gods and is helpless to save his family from Hades (Ralph Fiennes), the god of the underworld. With nothing left to lose, Perseus leads a band of warriors on a dangerous quest to prevent Hades from overthrowing the king of the gods and laying waste to Earth.
Bad Qualities That Are So Clashy
- Eye-bleedingly bad 3D conversion, similar to The Last Airbender. This was caused by the production team ordering the 3D conversion to be done in 2 weeks.
- Weak acting from some cast performances.
- For example, Liam Neeson as Zeus makes him looks like he's been drinking.
- Wooden characters. For example:
- They have about as much depth as a brick wall and are unrelatable and have no similarities to their original incarnations.
- The only gods who get much dialogue are Zeus and Hades. Some get only one line of dialogue-such as Poseidon-others just mill about.
- The romance between Perseus and Io feels pointless and clichéd.
- Last time we checked, he married Andromeda in the original.
- Poor CGI on the creatures, especially the Kraken.
- Desperate Snyderesque attempts at being a darker version of the original.
- Weak script.
- Despite being the main hero of the film, Perseus acts more like an anti-hero than his original counterpart.
- SUPER anticlimactic ending, being that Perseus just passes unharmed in front of the Kraken and shows it Medusa's head, petrifying it in an instance.
Good Qualities That Can Release the Kraken
- The inclusion of Athene's owl from the original movie was a nice nod.
- Ramin Djawadi's score is good.
- It's almost not a rehash of the original.
- "Release the Kraken!"
- Depending on your view, the Kraken scene is probably the best part of the entire movie.
- The trailer edit to match of Used's "Bird and The Worm" was good.
- Cool posters.
Clash of the Titans was poorly received by critics, particularly for the flat characters, use of 3D and divergences from the original film and myth. The film's tag line "Titans will Clash" also attracted criticism, but the trailer, set to the Used's "Bird and The Worm" was praised. Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reports that 27% of critics have given the film a positive review, based on 263 reviews with an average rating of 4.32/10. The website's critical consensus states, "An obviously affectionate remake of the 1981 original, Louis Leterrier's Clash of the Titans doesn't offer enough visual thrills to offset the deficiencies of its script.". On Metacritic, the film was assigned a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, based on 37 reviews from mainstream critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
The movie suffered after being converted to 3D post-production. In an interview, director Louis Leterrier disowned the movie, calling it "famously rushed and famously horrible" and that "I was a good boy, I rolled with the punches and everything, but it's not my movie".
- A tie-in video game was released in May 2010. Like the film, the game received poor reviews.
- In 2012, a sequel entitled Wrath of the Titans, was released. Like this film, it flopped at the box office and received poor reviews. A third film Revenge of the Titans was planned, but because of Wrath's poor critical reception, box-office returns, and very little ideas, it was later cancelled.
- In the film, Danae, Perseus's mother, is the wife of king Acrisius. In classical mythology, she was Acrisius's daughter, and Zeus impregnated her as gold rain.
- In one scene, the Hydra and Nemean lion are mentioned. In classical mythology, these monsters were killed by Hercules, Zeus's son and Perseus's half-brother.
- In classical mythology, Io was a lover of Zeus, who he turned into a cow to keep her safe from his wife Hera.
Batman Begins - Superman Returns - Lady in the Water - The Ant Bully - Beerfest - We Are Marshall - 300 - Trick 'r Treat - 10,000 BC - The Dark Knight - Watchmen - Observe and Report - The Hangover - Where the Wild Things Are - Ninja Assassin
Clash of the Titans - Jonah Hex - Inception - The Town - Due Date - Sucker Punch - The Hangover Part II - Wrath of the Titans - The Dark Knight Rises - Jack the Giant Slayer - 42 - The Hangover Part III - Man of Steel - Pacific Rim - 300: Rise of an Empire - Godzilla - As Above, So Below - Dracula Untold - Interstellar - Unbroken - Blackhat - Seventh Son - Jurassic World - Straight Outta Compton - Steve Jobs - Crimson Peak - Krampus - Warcraft - The Great Wall - Kong: Skull Island - Pacific Rim Uprising - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Skyscraper - Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again - BlacKkKlansman - Little - Pokémon Detective Pikachu - Godzilla: King of the Monsters