Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is a 2000 horror film and is a sequel to the 1999 film The Blair Witch Project. The film was released a year after the first Blair Witch Project film was released in theaters nationwide.
Several months after the first film came out, four teenagers who are fans of the first film go out into the woods where the first film was shot and try to find the filming locations with help from a guide named Jeff Patterson. While out on their hunt, the four teens end up getting lost (like the teens in the first film) and find various places including an abandoned factory.
Why It Sucks
- The film talks about The Blair Witch Project, but has absolutely nothing to do with the first film, because it focuses on new characters that we don't like or even care about.
- The characters do lots of foolish things including smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol while on the expedition project.
- The sheriff gives an over-the-top, goofy stereotypical Southern accent.
- Countless plotholes. For example: the flashback scene of when Kim goes to the store and kills the store clerk.
- Countless continuity errors, including a scene where a van appears and then disappears.
- The film is boring and isn't scary, whereas the first film has often been called one of the scariest movies of all-time.
- An extremely predictable plot twist, where it's revealed that Kim, the Goth girl, believes in (and practices) witchcraft.
- False advertising: on the cover of the VHS and DVD, one of the characters gets attacked in an unseen manner. However, in the film, there are little to no attack scenes, except when Kim scratches one of the characters. Another misleading header is that there isn't a "Book of Shadows".
The film currently holds a 14% on Rotten Tomatoes with an average of 3.4 out of 10 and a critic consensus that reads "This sequel to Blair Witch Project is all formula and no creativity, mechanically borrowing elements from the original and other horror movies." Roger Ebert of The Chicago Sun-Times awarded the film a 2 out of 4 stars and stated in his review that the film was "Not a very lucid piece of filmmaking." Kenneth Turan of The Los Angeles Times stated in his review "A plausible premise, visual tricks and a little blood don't help this sequel to rise above largely formulaic territory." and Joel Siegel of ABC's Good Morning America awarded the film with a "D" rating.
Book of Shadows opened up at #2 on its opening weekend grossing $13,223,887. In foreign countries, the film grossed $21,300,000. Overall, the film grossed $26,437,094 against its $15 million budget making the film a moderate success at the box office.
Awards and nominations
Book of Shadows was nominated for 4 Golden Raspberry Awards including Worst Picture, but lost the Award to Battlefield Earth. It did manage to win a Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Remake or Sequel.
- As of October 19, 2018, the film is ranked at #94 of IMDb's Bottom Rated Movies.
- Blair Witch 2 Book of Shadows - Nostalgia Critic
The Nostalgia Critic's review.
- Top 11 Worst Movie Sequels
The Nostalgia Critic's "Top 11 Worst Movie Sequels", in which this film ranked at #10
- Exploring Blair Witch 2 Book of Shadows