Bedtime Stories is a 2008 comedy, fantasy film produced by Happy Madison and distributed by the Walt Disney Company. It was Adam Sandler's first attempt at a family movie and as well as the first Happy Madison movie to be distributed by the Walt Disney Company.
Hotel handyman Skeeter Bronson (Adam Sandler) gets an unexpected surprise when he discovers that the tall tales he has been telling his niece and nephew are somehow coming true. Hoping to make the most of the mysterious phenomenon, Skeeter spins one outlandish yarn after another, but the children's unexpected contributions to the stories turn Skeeter's life upside down.
Why It Sucks
- The Plot is just dull with awful writing since it's an Adam Sandler movie.
- Bugsy's cgi effect (The guinea pig with big eyes) looks creepy.
- The humor is just childish and dull.
- Over-usage of cartoon sound effects.
- Product placements like any other Happy Madison movie.
- The scene where Skeeter is afraid of fire and then decides to make him fireproof looks stupid.
- In one scene Skeeter sprays himself with a Xmas tree spray to make him fireproof and then accidentally sprays himself in the eyes and a shop keeper is stupid and can probably be dangerous in real life.
- Unlikable characters especially Skeeter (except for Russel Brand's character).
- False advertising: The poster looks nothing like the movie.
- The premise of bedtime stories that bring everything to life sounds nice but was horribly wasted, just like Eight Crazy Nights and Free Birds. Mainly as it happens exactly as it was tought.
- Uncanny CGI effects, like the aforementioned Bugsy.
- The movie shows that Adam Sandler can't make a good family movie.
- Annoying moment where Mickey translates whatever Skeeter says to the public because he was stung by a bee.
- Skeeter's ringtone is very annoying.
- The pacing is just off.
- A pointless cameo of Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story during the space story (although it would make since as it's distributed by Disney who also Distributed GMW) and it just looks like in your face and blatant.
- Some funny moments like when Skeeter gets kicked by a dwarf.
- Mickey is a likeable character.
- Russel Brand's performance was good.
- The soundtrack is decent.
- The scene where gumball's rain (although they were falling from a truck) is a nice scene.
- The scene where Wendy rightfully calls out on Skeeter for telling her children to be "real" and that "there are no happy endings" can be satisfying.
- The ending is nice and all the characters redeemed themselves.
Despite being a box office success, Bedtime Stories was met with negative reviews from critics, having just a 26% on Rotten Tomatoes with a consensus stating: "Though it may earns some chuckles from pre-teens, this kid-friendly Adam Sandler comedy is uneven, poorly paced, and lacks the requisite whimsy to truly work."