Baywatch is a 2017 American action comedy film directed by Seth Gordon and is based on the TV series of the same name. The film was written by Mark Swift and Damian Shannon, the film stars Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron, Priyanka Chopra, Alexandra Daddario, Kelly Rohrbach, Jon Bass, and Ilfenesh Hadera.
Lt. Mitch Buchannonand leads a team of beach patrol officers in Emerald City, Florida to keep the beach in control and safe.
Why It Sucks
- The plot is weak and laughable.
- Pointless cameos by Pamela Anderson and David Hasselhoff.
- There was little to no raunchy humor in the original series.
- The humor doesn't work.
- Poor performances (then again, the acting in the original show was hit-or-miss).
- Laughable dialogue.
- The film lacks the campy charm the original series had.
- The characters are extremely flat.
- Wasted the talents of Zac Efron, Dwayne Johnson (a.k.a. The Rock), Kelly Rohrbach, Alexandra Daddario, Pamela Anderson, and others.
- Poor grasp of the source material.
- There are a few good jokes in the film.
The film currently holds a 18% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with a critic consensus statement that reads "Baywatch takes its source material's jiggle factor to R-rated levels, but lacks the original's campy charm – and leaves its charming stars flailing in the shallows." The film holds a score of 37 out of 100 on MetaCritic. The film has an average grade of "B+" on the A+ to F scale on CinemaScore.
Writer Peter Travers of the Rolling Stone gave praise to the cast, but not to the film and awarded the film a two out of four stars and stated, "Think of yourself sitting down for a big two-hour wallow in instant stupid with a vat of popcorn, slathered in fake butter and possibly a mound of melted M&Ms on top. It feels great chugging it down, then your stomach hurts, your head aches and you puke the whole thing up so you can forget about it in the morning. That's Baywatch in a nutshell." Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film 1.5 out of 4 stars and stated "As was the case with CHiPS, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Beverly Hillbillies, Car 54, Where Are You? and I’ll just stop there, when you make films from junk TV, more often than not you’re going to wind up with a junk movie."
Baywatch opened up at #3 on its opening weekend with a gross of $18,503,871. The total domestic gross was $58,060,186. The film made $119,796,565 in overseas markets and managed to gross $177,856,751 worldwide. The film was labeled a box office bomb.
Awards and nominations
The film was nominated for Worst Picture, Worst Screenplay, Worst Actor and Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel and The Razzie Nominee so Rotten You Loved It, only winning the latter, and losing the other awards to The Emoji Movie, Daddy's Home 2 and Fifty Shades Darker.
- Baywatch (2017) - Official Trailer - Paramount Pictures
- Baywatch - Movie Review
Chris Stuckmann's review
- Baywatching Baywatch (2017) - Movie Nights Obscurus Lupa
Obscurus Lupa / Movie Nights review