Are We There Yet?
Are We There Yet? is a 2005 Canadian-American comedy film produced by Revolution Studios.
Attempting to win the favor of the newly divorced Suzanne, Nick offers to accompany her children, Lindsey and Kevin, on a flight from Portland, Ore., to Canada to see their mother. A mishap with a corkscrew and a metal detector gets the troupe banned from the flight, however, so Nick is forced to drive the kids in his prized Lincoln Navigator. Tensions inevitably rise during the long road trip, but Nick is not to be deterred.
Why It Sucks
- The story is extremely weak, and feels like a poor man's Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
- Almost everyone in this movie is annoying and unlikable, particularly Nick and the kids.
- Overuse of way too much toilet and gross-out humor (especially considering what kind of movie this is).
- Both Kevin and Lindsey are badly behaved, and treat Nick as a punching bag/Butt-Monkey, even though he did nothing wrong to them at the start of the trip.
- The scene where Kevin pees in the sink and then on the Lady's face is extremely gross.
- There are a couple of racist jokes in the movie (eg. where Nick shows a Chinese guy his Yao Ming basketball card and it sparkles, thus fixing the car for it).
- The airport scene where the security officers beat up Nick is super fake and exaggerated. In real life, that would probably be illegal.
- Very choppy writing.
- Shameless product placement (From Lincoln Motor Company, Capri-Sun, Nintendo, etc.)
- There are a TON of inappropriate jokes, even for a kids movie.
- The scene where Kevin and Lindsey find out their Dad loved another and betrayed the family is cruel, but is also kind of sad.
- During that same scene where Kevin and Lindsey are walking to their Dad's house and Kevin starts suggesting ideas to help Nick, because he is kind of lonesome proves that Kevin has some humanity.
- The CGI used on Satch (the bobble head Nick has in his car) is really great that was done by Industrial Light and Magic.
- Nick tells Kevin and Lindsey that his dad walked out on him too so he knows how they feel and this makes Kevin and Lindsey look up to Nick.
- There's a happy ending, with fireworks included.
- Even though Nick was mad at the kids, he shows some kindness towards the end, proving he secretly likes them.