UglyDolls is a 2019 American computer-animated musical comedy film directed by Kelly Asbury, produced by Jane Hartwell and Robert Rodriguez, with the screenplay being written by Alison Peck, from a story by Rodriguez. It is based on the plush toys of the same name. The film stars the voices of Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, Janelle Monáe, Pitbull, Blake Shelton, Wanda Sykes, Gabriel Iglesias, Wang Leehom, Emma Roberts, Bebe Rexha, Charli XCX, and Lizzo.
Why It Sucks
- Much like The Emoji Movie, the film is a complete cash-grab for a toyline and is only made just to advertise the UglyDolls plushes.
- On top of that, it's basically a commercial disguised as a movie.
- It uses the clichéd "be yourself" moral, which has been done tons of times in movies like Wonder.
- Terrible voice acting, since most of the cast, consists of famous singers.
- Wastes the talents of Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, Pitbull, Blake Shelton, Wanda Sykes, Charli XCX, Bebe Rexha, Emma Roberts, Lizzo, and Ice-T.
- Also, Blake Shelton stated that the actors recorded their roles during commercial breaks, meaning they only spent like 5-minutes at a time recording.
- The plot is highly unoriginal, as it borrows plot elements from other movies. Here are examples below:
- The film is based on a toyline, which has already been done in Trolls.
- The UglyDolls trying to find a home has already been done in Home.
- A scene where the UglyDolls form a human chain to avoid an incinerator is a blatant rip-off of the incinerator scene in Toy Story 3.
- Not to mention, the plot is highly predictable and formulaic, about multiple characters who try to fit in with the other, superior characters, but eventually, they accept themselves for who they are.
- Bland CGI, especially for the Perfect Dolls.
- THE PERFECT DOLLS LOOK LIKE PREP SCHOOL STUDENTS WHEN THEY ARE ACTUALLY ADULTS!
- Moxy is a complete Mary Sue, as she is over-confident, has extreme curiosity, and has the ability to make others feel great.
- Lou is that stereotypical leader that everybody loves and is overly perfect, thus making him, along with all the other Perfect Dolls, Mary Sues/Larry Stus too.
- Uncreative names, such as the land the UglyDolls live in being called "UglyVille", and Moxy's closest friend being called "Ugly Dog".
- Mediocre, saccharine, and generic music that sound like they're from the Disney Channel.
- Kids under 10 might like it.
- The "be yourself" moral, while clichéd and poorly executed, is still a good moral.