The Happening (2008)
The Happening is a 2008 American suspense/horror film directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
A high school teacher and his family try to find out what is causing people to commit mass suicide.
- The plot twist - that plants are causing people to commit suicide via spores - is ridiculous and makes no sense.
- People committing suicide with explanation is supposed to be scary, but the extremely over-the-top ways in which they do it is hard to take seriously.
- The dialogue is stilted, bizarre, and often laughable.
- Terrible directing and acting, particularly from Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel, who look and act lifeless.
- No one reacts realistically to the terrible things happening around them.
- There are a few instances where the boom mic is visible in the frame.
- The film's tries to deliver a message about humanity's effect on their surroundings, but it's hard to take seriously given the ridiculous plot twist.
- The movie could actually be scary if you remove the part about the plants causing the suicides.
- Some of the lines are unintentionally funny (most notably Wahlberg's 'What, nooo' line).
- The movie's overall tone is unintentionally humorous.
The film received mostly negative reviews, with an 18% critic rating and a 24% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes. On Metacritic, it got a 34 critic score with a 5.7 user rating, and a 3.1 on IMDB.