||Mike Young Productions|
||Los Angeles, California
||Norm of the North |
The Butt-Ugly Martians
Splash Entertainment, originally known as Mike Young Productions and Moonscoop is a animation company founded by Mike Young. They are best known for the critically panned Norm of the North, as well as the Butt-Ugly Martians, the Bratz TV show and direct-to-DVD movies.
Why Their TV Shows And Movies Suck
- Very ugly and weak CGI animation.
- They've produced some pretty bad animated movies, especially Norm of the North and its sequels.
- Quantity-over-Quality - They don't run their franchises properly, as they make sequels in the littlest of time possible. Very recently, here is what they have done:
- Four Norm of the North sequels
- Four Alpha and Omega sequels (Including four more done by another company)
- Two Rock Dog sequels (which are currently in development)
- In the company's earlier years, they made so many direct-to-DVD Bratz movies.
- Unfunny, immature, and gross humor. Some examples:
- Norm of the North has Norm twerking.
- Bratz relies on fourth wall breaks that make the characters look like idiots.
- The Butt-Ugly Martians relies on gross-out humor.
- Poor French and English voice acting.
- Unfunny and stupid dialogue.
- Ugly character designs, mostly not because how they're drawn (or in case with the CGI characters, modeled), it's because the films/show's animation.
- Bad musical scores.
- Over-usage of stereotypes and poor role-models.
- They are filled with many unlikable characters.
- Unoriginal, cliched, bad, boring, predictable, and also formulaic plots and stories. Also, they steal stuff from other films. Some examples:
- Recycled character models, like the shopkeeper in the Bratz TV show episode The Chronicles of Karma, who uses the same model as Mandy from the Passion 4 Fashion DVD movie.
- Bad writing.
- Lots of plot-holes and fillers.
- Even though they do a poor job with CGI animated shows and movies, their 2D and flash animated shows are actually decent. A few examples include: Clifford the Big Red Dog, its spinoff Clifford's Puppy Days, Chloe's Closet, and ToddWorld.
- Some of their shows like the Bratz TV show do have some good/decent episodes, and some of the DVD movies were also decent.
- They dubbed the French animated series Code Lyoko into English quite well.
- Some of their shows and movies have good/decent voice acting.
- They've made a few decent CGI animated shows, like Jakers! - The Adventures of Piggley Winks, and Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot/Care Bears & Cousins, which makes the Bears more cuddly and furry than ever before.
- They're a prime example of what not to do if you want to work on an animation studio.